Saturday, January 27, 2024

Our Patients

Brazil appears to be in improved condition. He is eating a little more; he’s clearly hungry but most food still turns him off. I gave him some less than nutritious supplemental food that comes in a pouch, and he consumed every drop and morsel. That supplied solid food, as well as needed liquid. When a cat isn’t eating, the quality of the food that he will eat is less important than the quantity. But he also finished off a small portion of Fancy Feast, and has been nibbling some hard-food. I saw him playing with a fuzzy mouse, which shows that he is feeling more energetic than he had been.

In scooping the litter-boxes as soon as Shimmer used them, I found that he had deposited some solid waste; well, it was very soft, no doubt due to the hairball medicine I’ve been giving him. But his deposits tell me either that he has been eating enough solid food for the body to require ridding itself of the excess, or that there was a clog somewhere and the medicine has helped clear it. He is certainly not out of the worry-zone, but he is its borderlands. For future use, I will be buying some coconut oil, as recommended by the Trout Towne Tabbies.

A positive feature of this illness is that I know now that I can put medicine into Brazil if it is needed, and if it is liquid. I was anxious over that, but knowing it is possible is a relief.

As for my other patient, Renn is feeling better, I think. I haven’t heard him breathing noisily in some time, and his sleep is undisturbed. The flare-up of his respiratory issues appears over for now. His wetting pattern has not, however, encouraged me to lessen the amount of anti-inflammatory he has been receiving. Nonetheless, that too is better than it was. He goes back to the hospital for another ultra-sound on Thursday.

For now, then, signs are positive, and all of us, human and feline, are looking forward to a continued pleasant weekend.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read an update, and a cautiously optimistic one at that. I will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers and will hope for continued improvements for them both. BTW, that photo is just adorable, they are so sweet cuddled up together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They worry us so, when things aren't right.
    Here's hoping the positive outcomes continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that your patients are on the mend. Hopefully the improvement will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure am glad to hear about some improvement, that's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that both patients are finding some comfort sleeping close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad there is improvement for both, and hope it continues. That photo of them is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brazil certainly sounds like he is feeling much better and eating well. All good news there as long as nothing circles back and hits again. Certainly be thinking on Thursday when you take sweet Renn back to the doctor for testing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that photo., I would not have thought they would do that. The two patients...consoling one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful photo. Maybe Renn can tell Imogen that the little orange boy isn't so bad...

    I hope the good news will continue when you go to the vet Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrs for the good news to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet photo! Hoping for continued improved health for both boys.

    ReplyDelete