Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Neville Yesterday, Renn Tomorrow

Renn will be going to the hospital tomorrow to have his bladder examined again by ultra-sound, but yesterday, it was Neville’s turn.


My bulky little misanthrope has a swelling on his lip. I suspected that it was a minor infection that would need antibiotics, and that’s what it is. There is nothing to worry about in this case. However, also I wanted a small, flatfish mass on his right side checked, too. The doctor took a sample to scruitise under a microscope.


The mass appears to be lipoma - a benign fatty lump - but it also has indications of spindle-cell carcinoma, which sometimes surrounds itself with fat tissue. This carcinoma could grow, but the veterinary stated that it tends to be local, and doesn’t spread much. It can be excised through surgery, but it is not always easy to catch it all. For the time being, it will be left alone and watched. It is not bothering the Nevski, who is much more annoyed by having to take medicine for his infection.


While nothing will be done about the mass - which may or may not be harmful - the visit was useful in learning what it could be. We will be vigilant, my grey lion and I.


As an aside, Neville, who usually wants to be left alone, except for the odd chin-rub, stuck close to me at the veterinary hospital, rubbing against my legs and purring much of the time. When his examination was over, he walked over to the carrier; I opened the door, and in he went, ready to go home. He’s a good patient, when over-awed by his surroundings.


14 comments:

  1. Purrs to Neville from all of us. I think not messing with it is a good plan for now. We hope sweet Renn has nothing to worry about too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of healing energy to Neville and Renn, too. I hope Renn's check will have a positive outcome. ❤️ 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neville, you are so handsome. You make my Katie heart beat a bit faster. Mom has a small fatty lipoma on her shin. She finally noticed it when she was 11 or so. Turned out her dad had one on his shin too...and he called it a "wind knot" (wind..as in a breeze blowing). So Mom and I call them wind knots too. Neville must be related to Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be anxious to hear the results of Renn's ultrasound. Hopefully it will show an improvement. Meanwhile, I'm sorry to hear that now Neville has health problems. I'm sure the antibiotics will clear up the infection on his lip quickly. Meanwhile, I'm glad you're keeping vigilant about the lipoma and if there is any change in its size, it can be reported to the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Neville gets along ok with the antibiotics and any tummy issues. And then here you find one more thing to keep your eye on! Purrs and prayers for Renn tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purrayers to both your boys. Hope all outcomes are good,

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good boy. I will keep my fingers crossed for both these chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neville sure IS a beauty—those eyes!
    Wishing you all the best with him and also Renn.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  9. POTP is in order for Neville! And we hope that medicine helps...and lets hope that the cancer cells do not grow wild.

    Pawyers for him and for Renn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Renn's ultrasound brings good results. I also think it is best to leave the lipoma alone unless it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these vet visits...sigh. I hope all goes well with Renn today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, it's a whirlwind of vet visits. I do hope Neville's mass is nothing to worry about, and he recovers from the infection quickly.
    Good luck with Renn's ultrasound too.

    ReplyDelete