Monday, April 17, 2017

A Grey Holiday

This weekend was not a good holiday at the cosy apartment. Cammie is sick again. It started Thursday. She was well in the morning, but as soon as I returned from work I knew something was wrong with the princess. Through that evening and Good Friday, she regurgitated everything that she ate, usually within a few minutes. She also vomited without having eaten anything.

I gave her slippery elm to calm her stomach; this remedy usually solves the problem, but did not in this case. I called our veterinary hospital’s emergency number - as the hospital was closed for the holiday - and was put in touch with the doctor on call. I asked about Cerenia, the medicine that settles the stomach. The doctor agreed that Cammie could benefit from an injection, so I arranged to bring her in the next morning, as the hospital is open until noon on Saturdays. (We were lucky, as there were no appointments made until about 9.30 that morning; when I arrived, however, I overheard a telephone conversation which stated that the hospital had had a flurry of calls and was now booked solid that day.)


The Cerenia helped Cammie. She ceased throwing up but, though she had tried to eat through most of Friday, the resultant vomiting robbed her of any desire to attempt further. Consequently, she returned to eating very slowly, and I was forced to feed her Recovery by syringe, which is stressful for her, and wasteful, as I suspect only half - if that - of the food gets into her. She tosses the rest away with violent protests.

Easter Sunday, she began eating, small amounts, on her own. The Cerenia, good for 24 hours, would have worn off about 8.30 that morning. Cammie continued to take in little bits of food. She was not eating or drinking enough and her appetite for hard-food came back only in the evening. I was relieved at this, since what she was eating in Fancy Feast wasn’t going to restore the weight she’d lost in the past couple of days (she’d diminished from 4.8 kilograms to 4.52), and I wasn’t forcing enough into her to do any more.

Unfortunately, Cammie threw up during the night. She had just eaten a large amount of hard-food, and I heard her wretching at 2.09 a.m., and all of the hard-earned meal had come back up.

The doctor provided me with a Cerenia pill, of which I can give Cammie half to duplicate the effects of the injection. But I need to be able to give it by syringe with water or it will never get down her throat. And once it goes down, there is no guarantee that it will stay down. I will be consulting with the doctor as soon as the hospital opens.

My princess was drinking water - a long draught of it - just before I left. With her kidney issues, she needs that as much as food, if not more. A great drink of water and a sick cat’s empty stomach do not sound like a successful combination, so any good thoughts for Cammie would be appreciated.

14 comments:

  1. Poor love. What about a quarter of a Pepcid tablet? Pepcid is often given for nausea in cats, I've heard it used especially for cats with kidney issues when nausea goes hand in hand. Of course she'd have to keep that down...Anyway, we're sending all our purrs and purrayers to her and hope she's much improved through the day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor girl! All my best wishes that she's well again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so sorry to hear that Cammie is "under the weather" again. We're keeping our fingers and paws crossed that she will soon be feeling much better. Please update us about how she is progressing. Cammie, GET WELL SOON, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Cammie, purrs and prayers from all of us. We hope the all better shows up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no....we hope it was a passing thing and she starts feeling better very soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. cammie.....we haz asked R pal st francis ta send hiz blessingz yur way N we hope bye de time ewe reed thiz ewe R on de mend; pleez tell yur dad ta ask de vet a bout a dose
    oh pepcid; we haz hurd oh a lot of catz.. N pupz two... that benefitz from it; it werks de same az if a purrson were takin it....manee purrayerz headed yur way; we R sorree ~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. We sure hope Cammie is feeling better real soon. Sending many warm fuzzy thoughts and purrayers. Linda, Pepper, and Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending healing thoughts Cammie's way. Hope all is well when you get back to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Cammie is feeling better soon. Poor girl! Hopefully it is just a bug passing through her system.

    The kitties send their purrs.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are keeping Cammie in our prayers. We love her very much and it is upsetting to know she's not well.
    I would ask the vet if you should continue force feeding. It may just make her stomach more irritated .
    Cerenia hopefully will help her to feel better but now we must look for the underlying cause. Rule out pancreatitis. If you deceide to give Famotadine, use regular form, 1/4 tab, be sure to give it at the opposite time of day as Cerenia. Please give Cammie kisses and hugs from us. We know she is in good hands with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Cammie. I send good thoughts for her and purrs from Flynn. I hope she is soon feeling better again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somehow this slipped past me or I would have added her to my prayers. I still will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. poor Cammie, but also I feel for you. I know how stressful it is when your kitty isn't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete