Monday, August 21, 2017

Three Out of Five Ain't Bad

Well, it’s not exactly the title of Meatloaf’s song, but it fits this case. I attempted the pumpkin experiment over the weekend and three of my feline roommates ate it.

Tucker was the most willing. I put a small amount of the pureed vegetable in a dish and he did not hesitate to eat it, and wanted more. I believe the recommended dose is small, no more than a teaspoon-full a day. He will have to be satisfied with that; besides, I don’t want him to grow sick of it too fast.


Parker required a bit more coaxing. There was evidently something about the smell that he didn’t trust. But after several minutes of placing the bowl in front of him, and urging him at least to taste it, he did, and ate all of his share. I may try mixing the orange-boy’s pumpkin with some food, perhaps when he receives his quarter-tin of soft-food for a bedtime snack.


Combining pumpkin with soft-food is what I had to do with Josie. She didn’t care for the pure pumpkin but when added to some Fancy Feast, she had no problem with the result. She didn’t eat all of her portion, but I will give her a little more than she needs, so that she will consume enough.


Renn and Cammie wanted nothing to do with this strange new food with which they were presented. They both adopted the upright sitting posture over their respective bowls and stared straight ahead, refusing even to look at the contents. I attempted the food/pumpkin mixture with them, but with no more success. Cammie’s reaction was predictable, but I was hoping my big boy would sample it. I will be trying these two recalcitrants again.



There is no guarantee that even those who partook of the pumpkin will eat it once more. But I am confident of at least the three. The benefits of pumpkin in a cat’s diet are, so I understand, mainly in the gourd’s fibre. That helps keep the animal regular, and takes away the hair in the stomach that could lead to hairballs. As well, the fibre makes the cat feel full, though it won’t add weight to the body. Therefore, it may reduce poundage. I don’t know if such a small amount - even provided each day - will do such a thing; I am principally concerned with digestion. Josie in particular regurgitates too much. If pumpkin can keep the food moving in the right direction, I will be happy.

For something so entirely new to the beasts, the weekend’s experiment was a success, if qualified. Three out of five is, after all, not bad.

27 comments:

  1. With some additional persuasion, I am sure you'll find a way to get all five kitties eating pumpkin! Hope the 'outcome' is what you've hoped for too...hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will continue to work on the other two. I guess we'll see what results are deposited over time.

      Delete
  2. I COULD go ahead and try again with mixing it into her wet food. But as she is a fan of the probiotics...perhaps I had better not do so. May have an effect with the probiotic that I won't like now I think of it while writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. When something is working with my beasts, and not causing problems, I try my best not to tamper with it.

      Delete
  3. Three out of five is fantastic, IMO. You'll have to let us know if they eat it again, disguised or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight, all three did it again. And the other two did not.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like your pumpkin experiment was a success for Tucker, Josie and Parker. Pumpkin does help cats with digestive problems, (diarrhea, vomiting, hairballs, etc.), so it's great that they will eat it. Just be careful that you buy pureed pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure that it was pure, pureed pumpkin - "purred" pumpkin, for cats.

      Delete
  5. Three out of five is pretty darn good. I need to do that with some of my cats. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised at the better than average success rate here.

      Delete
  6. I agree, three out of five is not at all bad. When I tried to get Eric and Flynn to eat it, they were both disgusted with what was presented to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can see the boys turning up their noses at the presentation.

      Delete
  7. guyz.....well, its two for nothin round heer; de codd mother N capo tuna want nothin ta due with de gourd ...lezz itz been pure reed N iz sittin ina pie shell !!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I bought the tin of pumpkin, I've been craving pumpkin pie...

      Delete
  8. I didn't think Cammie would jump on the pumpkin bandwagon but I thought Renn might have tested it at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that, too, but Renn can be stubborn sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Glad a few of them liked it! When Ozzy was a kitten I gave him a teaspoon a day because of his constipation. He loves food so had no problem mixing it with his wet. Didn't know it helped with hairballs. I think I will put pumpkin back on his menu!
    Helpful hint: didn't want to waste a can of pumpkin so froze small portions in ice cube trays. When frozen put in a Ziploc bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea. Thak you. I was sure I'd have to waste the keg of pumpkin I'd bought. I will buy some ice-cube trays tomorrow. I assume cats, in general, like the thawed pumpkin no less than the 'fresh' from the tin?

      Delete
    2. Well, Ozzie had no problem with it. My in-house princess, Lucy, can tell the difference!

      Delete
  10. Oh good show! If anyone could get their cats to eat pumpkin it would be you. We're keeping our fingers crossed that Cammie and Renn will eventually give pumpkin a go. I'd stay with very small servings until I know how their tummies will react. Starting new foods can sometimes cause stomach upset. Also, an increase in fiber too quickly can cause gas and bloating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm not too worried about Cammie not eating the pumpkin: she is greatly affected by tiny changes in her diet. It may be better that she not eat it.

      Delete
  11. p.s. I wonder how the pumpkin will affect the diabetic cats numbers. It has a low glycemic index but is still a carb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve checked with both Tucker’s and Parker’s doctors and was told that small amounts of daily pumpkin should not affect the boys’ diabetes treatment adversely. However, come their next curves, I will be watching for higher numbers than usual.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Me, too. A lot of health food doesn't seem to do its job.

      Delete
  13. Glad you got some to eat it. I have 13 cats and none will eat pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete