Wednesday, October 18, 2017

It's That Time of Year Again

The days are becoming shorter, the sun is rising later and setting earlier, and the nights are colder. It’s that time of year again: the time for the heating pads to go into the cat-beds.

The two cat-beds in the sitting room are used throughout the year, but not every day. Come the autumn, though, and the insertion of the heating pads, the beds become popular once more. Renn prefers the bed by the micro-wave oven stand, while Cammie may usually be found in the one by the small, central bookcase. It’s interesting that initially I heated only the cat-bed by the micro-wave oven, and the princess lie in that one. But feline traffic past that spot is too great; she’d rather be out of the way a bit.




Also interesting is that I thought of putting a cat-bed among the towels on the library couch, for Parker’s use during the night, and during those days when he is sequestered in that room. That was why only one of the cat-beds in the sitting room had a heating pad at first. But my orange foster-boy didn’t seem to like the heat. Each day and night, I found the towels pulled around, and no evidence that he ever used them for sleeping. I think he disliked the extra heat and was trying to find its source. Since I have removed the heating pad, Parker has resumed using the towel-bed.


But whatever makes the beasts happy will be done. Those who like the extra warmth will use the pads; for those who do not, there are many other comfortable locations in which to snooze. The wind has been howling lately, the dark comes sooner each day, and it’s good to appreciate having a snug home.

Yes, it’s that time of year again.

16 comments:

  1. Cammie and Renn certainly look snug in their beds. Do you leave the heating pads on while you're at work?

    Our weather still has been quite lovely, only a few days excepted, but even so, Derry has started to plaster his fat, furry body tight against mine at night, which does NOT help with the night sweats (mine...apparently he doesn't suffer from those). Maybe if I invested in heated cat beds he'd gravitate toward one, instead of me as his "heater".

    ReplyDelete
  2. we need to look into those heating bed. for now Mo is just hoping mom will break out the space heater

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But whatever makes the beasts happy will be done."
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Pops changes her sleeping spots with the seasons too. I am a bit weary of having a heated cat pad on while I am out of the house, but it seems that no one has had any problems with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had mine for six years now, and during the cold months, they are on continuously, and for four or five months straight! Be sure to get a pet's heating pad, rather than a human's, and if you are worried, run it for a week or more only while you are present. Check its warmth, check the cord, the plug, etc. When you are confident of its safety, you can leave it on for periods when you are absent.

      Delete
    2. After John spoke about heated cat pads I bought two. Although I keep my place quite warm, my seniors love the beds with heated pads. I, too , have left them on for quite some time with no problems. I got mine at PetSmart.

      Delete
  5. Katie said "If I were a Canadian Kitty, I would love to be fostered by you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are very lucky with your mum, Katie.

      Delete
  6. I've never tried heating pads though I suspect Sasha and his old bones would probably appreciate it. He has a tendency to curl up next to me when I'm home, either in my chair or in my bed. He'll often curl up under the covers as well.

    I may have to purchase on to give it a try. And I agree, what the beasts want they shall have.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started using a heating pad at night for Jessica, and she really enjoys the extra warmth.

      Delete
  7. That is funny that Parker didn't like the heating pad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly won't sleep in anything but my bed. She will curl up on the fleecy mat as long as I keep it on my bed. She is having her post-dinner nap - on the bed. Your cats all have a cozy special place in your cozy apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does your new place include utilities? Maybe a little increase in temperature is all that is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the rent does include utilities, and the thermostat brings the temperature up a bit in the cold months. I like it snug, too.

      Delete