Monday, December 11, 2017

A Christmas Tree Puzzle

I have a bit of a problem with regard to my Christmas tree. I don’t have a place for it.

One of the disadvantages of the cosy apartment is that it is one room too small. I would like one more room, principally to put the books for which I don’t have space elsewhere. This is a small complaint, and is not the first I would address if I had the power to perfect my life. It does mean, however, that what space I have is filled. And I don’t have anywhere to put my Christmas tree.

Last year, it was in the near outside corner of the sitting room, at the far end of the couch. I moved a circular end-table and had a spot for the tree. A month later, Parker arrived. My foster-cat spends time in the library whenever I am absent from the apartment or asleep. His litter-box, a small but serviceable vessel, fits very nicely into a corner, a corner which had been filled with an armchair. I moved that armchair to the near outside corner of the sitting room, where the Christmas tree went last year. I think you may be seeing the problem by now.


With Parker’s arrival, I cannot move the chair back into the library. Even if I had space for it, which I do not, with the orange-boy’s litter-box there, both he and Cammie, and sometimes Renn, use the armchair - at different times, of course - that is now in the sitting room’s corner. All my corners are occupied, and I have nowhere to move the occupants, even temporarily.


I may end up putting the tree not in a corner, which is both traditional and practical, but simply in front of a bookcase. That will prove a hindrance to both man and cat, but it will only be for a while. It will, though, make the tree more prominent, and more of a target for curiosity, especially from Parker, who has yet to see a Yuletide at the cosy apartment.


But, we will figure something out. The stockings will be hung, the music played, and the gratitude at having a home, with five cats safe and warm, will be felt. While a tree would be nice, we’ll remember the point of Christmas, and the point of the tree in the first place.

11 comments:

  1. I have a similar problem and only 1 cat! Every space is occupied and the tree is hard to find a place for. (awful grammar) I think I can stop feeling as though I have difficulty after reading your dilemma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tree in front of the bookcase idea..and it is only temporary, that's true. We had no tree last year, but found a way to string the lights which put us in the Christmas spirit.
    Wishing you all a very furry Christmas and all the best in the New Year!
    Purrs ~ Chopin, Bridgie, Tom Fishworthy, and angels Tinker and Anastasia. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put your tree up somewhere. I think you and the cats will miss it if you have no tree at all. This may sound crazy( I saw it as a suggestion for a cramped studio apartment in NYC). You could you use just one side of the tree and keep the other side folded so that the folded side sits flush with the wall? Or maybe you could use the top section of your tree as a table top tree. Another suggestion is getting a nice large tree at the local thrift shop and setting it up outside on your patio. (I’ve done that for several years). Some nice shatterproof ornaments and lots of lights look so cheerful through the big window. And it’s cat safe. My guys are absolute tree vandals. If I leave them alone, they’ll be parked in the branches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. guyz.....we hope dad findz a place for de tree N it doez get ta go up; round de houz oh toona, knot a tree waz stirrin less itz de nayborz oak outside coz sum one likez ta chew N haza fas a nationz with all thing electric... knot men shunin any namez ~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were years, with Chumley and Annie, that I skipped a tree altogether because they would get into it and I had to remove most of the ornaments. Skip your usual tree and maybe get a little table top one, or if your budget permits, a real tree top -- one of our grocery stores sells them, tiny trees (effectively the top part of the tree) in stands. They're cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that a tree is not needed as long as you and all your kitties are safe and arm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little tree sits upon a cabinet as I too do not have room for a bigger tree. While I enjoy having a tree I thought of putting my decorations on a Bright ribbon across the wall would be lovely. I halos seen people just use an arrangement of bare branches to display decorations and with a string of colourful lights would be festive and (maybe) cat proof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a tree in years. With 6 cats, I should have a tree - seriously!!! But I do agree that a table top tree is a great idea. That said, the important thing is that we keep in mind the spirit of the holiday and that those we love are safe, warm and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was amazing but with my move to the downstairs of my home, which doubled the square footage, we did not have a place for our tree. It was the same problem as some of Mom and Grand Moms furniture took all the corners. I decided to remove a shelf of books and put the tree on top of the new litter storage unit. Now to finish the fit-out and enjoy the holiday with All the Furs.
    We were not sure Buddy would be with us so are having a very Merry Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In front of the bookcase sounds good. You and the cats will soon get used to dodging around it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my tree but am seriously thinking of going with a table top model after this year. Perhaps that may an option for you down the road.

    Enjoy!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete