Sunday, November 18, 2018

Onward and Upward



Tucker’s improvement after his traumatic dental surgery continues. He is eating a great deal more soft-food than previously, but of course is consuming no hard-food right now. He keeps trying; I was instructed not to allow him to eat hard-food for five to seven days after the operation, but I am loathe to discourage him. On the other hand, I don’t want him to discourage himself. He finds the kernels painful in his mouth, of course, and, if he wants to eat them, will have to learn to swallow without crunching. I don’t know if he can, but Raleigh has learned.

Raleigh is the real subject of this entry, more encouraging news of progress. I love watching this peachy-cat’s confidence build. He spends more and more time out of the library, preferring to curl up on the hammock between two tall bookcases in the sitting room. I suspect that he feels a little hidden and out of the way there. But he has several times come up on to my lap when I sit on the couch a few feet away. Sometimes, I have invited him; more than once, he has invited himself.

Other signs of Raleigh’s growing courage is how he reacts to sudden movements. Early on, if I was reading with him on my lap, he might suddenly notice a book in my hand and leap away, retreating behind furniture. Yesterday, he was startled by a turning page and jumped off my lap – only to return twenty seconds later. He no longer hurries away every time I approach him, and I see him strolling out of the library to visit the sitting room twice or thrice a day.

Raleigh, like my wonderfully long foster-cat Bear-Bear, who died in 2014, is an ugly brute. There’s no sense in denying it. His eye runs with a thick goop now and then, and though I clean it, it stains the fur. His drooling is much reduced since his dental surgery, but food still clings to the fur about his mouth, and he sometimes leaves his spittle on his enormous feet when he snoozes. But, also like the BB, Raleigh is a determined and affectionate fellow; his spatula-paws flex with happiness when he is brushed or petted, and he squeaks his delight when a dish of food heads his way. Perhaps some day, he will be the cherished member of a loving family. Until then, I will watch him grow, onward and upward.

13 comments:

  1. I am glad that Tucker is improving. As his gums heal and strengthen I don't think he will have any problem with his hard food.
    I am glad also that Raleigh is settling in and becoming more relaxed. I think he already is a cherished member of a loving family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't want Tucker to become discouraged with hard food as he tries to eat it too soon. He can be an impatient little fellow.

      Delete
  2. John if Tucker is determined to have hard food could you just soak the biscuits a bit in water so they are softer for his mouth?

    We have a soft spot for Raleigh - thanks for giving this boy a home and a lap to sit on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soaked food becomes unrecognisable to Tucker, and he won't eat it. But crushed or crumbled kernels may do.

      Delete
  3. I am delighted to read of these two boys this morning and Raleigh, that's an eye problem. It doesn't affect the rest of your appearance. Don't you worry about that dear boy. I do wonder if there is a problem with a blocked tear duct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raleigh's doctor did suggest a blocked tear-duct, and I think this is the case.

      Delete
  4. Try grinding up the kibble up if you can, and sprinkling it on Tucker's canned. At least until his mouth heals enough and he's learned to swallow the pieces.

    As for Raleigh, I've never thought of him as ugly at all. Like others, I have a very soft spot in my heart for him, because of his hard life. No matter that he drools and is a bit messy; he's a dear cat. I'm glad he will have you, and your home, for as long as needed. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ground food might be too fine to serve the purpose, but I like your idea of reducing the size. I will try to break the food into tiny pieces; perhaps I can increase the size as Tucker's mouth heals.

      Delete
  5. It's great to hear that both Tucker and Raleigh are doing so well. Raleigh has certainly come a long way regarding settling in to your apartment, and Tucker is well on the road to recovery. But I have to disagree with you regarding Raleigh's appearance. There is no such thing as an ugly cat, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Raleigh goes up for adoption through our rescue-group, he will be a tough one to photograph. Apart from his eye, nose and mouth, his expression is one of sadness and suspicion. But it’s all just appearance, and what is inside is a gem waiting to shine.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear about Tucker, and I'm glad Raleigh is also making progress. I have to say, too, that I wouldn't think of him as homely. I do have a soft spot for orange cats. Whoever he ends up with will be very fortunate.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking of him as a spaniel. I think it’s the colouring and the feet.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Tucker, and Yay for Raleigh!
    And YAY for the human who's love is enveloping them all.

    ReplyDelete