Monday, October 23, 2023

Settling In

Theodore and Miss Chiff have fully settled into the Cosy Apartment. Theirs was an easy transition, as most kittens’ are. They were wary of me for the first day. I was able to pet Theodore first, but he kept his tail down. The next day, the tail was up, and now both cats purr when I stroke them. Theodore is the bolder when it comes to people, and most new things in general; he let me pick him up before Chiff did, though now I can hold both. Even so, Chiff might scurry away from my approach.


Though they are not a bonded pair, it would be very nice if they could adopted together. (Rescue-groups don’t like listing a couple as bonded unless they truly are: two kittens are harder to adopt out than one.) I believe either of these kittens would adjust to a new situation singly, but they are definitely good friends, lying together for comfort and companionship - I saw that during their first couple of days here, especially - and playing together. They will whap at each other in friendly combat, leap over each other and pursue one another with thunderous sound effects. (How creatures who weigh little more than clouds can make such noise, I’ll never know.) But I do like hearing the sound of happy and healthy cats enjoying themselves.


Oddly, despite Theodore being the braver in most things, it was Chiff who has taken the lead in playing with me. I brought out the streamer-on-a-stick last night (the same toy that tempted Brazil) and Chiff came out of the library to see what it was about. She watched its movements for several minutes with curiosity and no fear. Theodore too ventured out but was frightened of the streamer and retreated whenever it came close. His sister, however, was soon batting at it and rolling about with it. I am sure she will show Thoedore the way to play, just as Aurora did Brazil.


It’s always a delight to see cats learn and have fun at the same time.



10 comments:

  1. Chiff and Theodore are so cute. It would be great if they could be adopted together. After all, two kittens are twice as much fun as one, and not much more work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so good. What good babies. I'd love for them to be adopted together but I get what you said. They are friends..not bonded and I like that the Rescue Groups don't say "bonded" unless they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are certainly learning to have fun with toys. How sweet they look together. Just as long as they stay out of Imogen's way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm delighted they've settled in so quickly. Whether they are adopted together, which would be nice, or individually, I hope they don't wait long for their forever home(s).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though they may not be "bonded," it sure would be nice if they were adopted together. It might make the transition to a new home less scary for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kittens sound like a herd of elephants, don't they?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad those two are getting along so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun kittens are!!
    We hope someone has room in their home and heart for a pair of kittens, its double the fun, you know!

    ReplyDelete