Neville went to the hospital yesterday. We needed to find out if the mass in his liver had grown. It hadn’t, but he had lost weight. In seven weeks, he has dropped from 5.9 kilograms (13 pounds) to 5.1 kilograms (11.24 pounds), due to his lessening appetite. That is our big enemy now: Nev’s reluctance to eat. It has become worse. He was prescribed Mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite, but I don’t think it will have much of an effect. I won’t force-feed him at this point, as it is a good tool only if it will get a cat over a rough spot, a temporary problem. With the mass in Nev’s liver affecting him constantly, I don’t believe his situation will change. Trying to put food into him by syringe will only give him stress, and won’t provide enough nutrition or bulk to keep him going indefinitely.
Some kind thoughts about the old lion would be appreciated.

Sweet Neville, he has certainly maintained a solemn demeanor. I do hope he will be enticed to eat for you. He certainly will be in my prayers that he be comfortable as time passes.
ReplyDeletePurring for you, Nevsky.
ReplyDeleteHugs to Dr. John.
My thoughts and prayers to Neville, John. I hope he's able to be comfortable until it's time to let him cross with dignity and peace. ❤️🙏❤️
ReplyDeleteOh, the poor fellow. I will be praying that things go easily for him.
ReplyDeletedood…truth…dad kneadz ta ask de vet bout a B 12 injection….for reel..itz given ta lotz oh catz all de time, knot just like from hole listic vetz…and all sew trooth…kitten food, canned N kibble iz HI in cal o reez and will put weight on ya…both unkle boomer N cuzin daiz chowed down on it….🤎🧡🧡🤎
ReplyDeleteYou know what, guys? I had intended to ask about that - because of your past statements and the effects B12 has had on Katie Isabella - and it went quite out of my head at the time. If something isn't written down for me these days, that will happen. I have just put a call in to Nev's doctor and will talk to her about B12.
DeleteUnfortunately, kitten food is too high in carbohydrates for a diabetic cat. Such a food would make his numbers unpredictable.
DeleteJohn, Kate had another B12 shot last week and while she is 18 yrs. old, she was batting a ball alternating arms hitting it, all the way down the hall fro the guest room. THEN she threw Donkey around for a few minutes. Went to have an evening bowel movement and came rip tearing into the living room. It was 9:30 PM for pity sake! She doesn't;t do this every day, no, but B12 has made a HUGE difference for now. Won't be too long probably before the KD affects her in an even worse manner. So all bets will be off then. But for now, Katie Isabella has rebounded well since those shots started.
DeleteAnd your old lion is in my heart. Tell him we have his 6.
DeleteI am sorry Nev isn't eating enough. I agree with the Tabbies. When Flynn wouldn't eat, he started having regular B12 injections and it worked wonders. I can't remember how often he had it, but I was able to give them myself as I had once worked for a vet.
ReplyDeleteB12 injections are a great idea. Years ago I would give Jeremy a B12 injection once a week and they were helpful. The Tabbies idea to give Neville kitten food is also good, as kitten food does have extra calories and nutrients. Meanwhile we'll keep Neville in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteToo many calories and carbohydrates in kitten food for diabetic Nev, I'm afraid.
DeleteWe send Neville purrayers and love and Power of the Paw and we know that you and his doctors will do what is best for him.
ReplyDeletePraying for Neville.
ReplyDeleteOh dear. Lots of prayers from all of us too.
ReplyDeleteMay he enjoy life as much and as long as possible.
ReplyDeleteSending tons of loving thoughts for Neville. And we pawray that he will eat better. POTP!
ReplyDeleteGive him a gentle pet and snuggle from me. My heart is with him.
ReplyDeletePurrrrrayers!
ReplyDeleteHugs sweet Mr Neville
ReplyDelete