Friday, May 15, 2026

Copy Cats

I’ve commented quite a few times on this blog about how the cats form new habits. I have sometimes wondered if they started them from watching others. Certainly, one cat can learn from another, so a cat adopting the habits of his roommate may be perfectly natural.



A few weeks ago, I published pictures of Millie lying on the back of the sitting room couch. I don’t think a cat had done that since Josie, back in my old fourth-floor apartment. Yet, just a week after Mills tried it, I spotted Imogen in the same location.



And then, after Imo, Sable tried it. (At first, I thought it was Miss Silky again, but the ears gave her identity away.) Since then, Sabe has often resorted to the back of the couch, which probably forms itself perfectly to whomever is lying on it.



What determines whether a feline will try something new based on others having tried it? And will Sable’s frequent use of the spot preclude others from using it? There are plenty of comfy locations about the Cosy Cabin, but it seems that those tested and approved by others carry with them a certain recommendation.

7 comments:

  1. Tested and approved by a panel of qualified judges. What better recommendation! You leave your fur, and I'll leave mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. guyz…ewe noe, now, if sum one dee sidez ta chillax on that dezk ther…everee one elze will two ….N how cool iz that veew out de window….am eye see in a pond ‼️‼️πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ˜ΈπŸΎπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that's why they call them "copy cats". (Also, I guess it sounds better than "copy dogs".) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do follow each other’s leads. Mikey was the laziest cat I ever knew and he wouldn’t even stand up to eat or drink. He’d lie down, hook a claw around a piece of kibble and bring it to his mouth because he didn’t want to stand up to eat. He taught Dansig the Round to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the "copy cats" My cats - for example .. 1 cat will sit in the cat bed that nobody has touched for 2 years (making this up but you know) then the next thing you know they all want THAT cat bed and need to take turns .. LOL --- have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that cushion seems to have widespread approval...including Sable's. It nice to see that she's making herself increasingly at home.

    ReplyDelete