Tuesday, May 19, 2026

I Have Twelve Cats

The kittens are officially kittens. You know, at that stage where they run (well, sort of lope like bunnies), jump, climb, wrestle, chase and get everywhere. Periodically, I see them resting, but when they see me, they usually get up and hurry over to me. I think Rhapsody would prefer me not to visit, because every time I do, the kittens become active.



There are fewer places in the library that are out of their reach now. Vivace and Presto climb onto the couch often, and the birthing bed is a play-pen now, a play-pen that the players can climb in and out of with little difficulty. While cleaning up the room, I sometimes put the kittens in the birthing bed as they interfere with my work. That diverts them only so long.


They are using the litter-boxes extensively. I think each is leaving his or her deposit in the boxes, but one or two are still going outside. I don’t know that that is a problem more than simply not knowing that they should go in the boxes every time. Realising that one can use the box is quite different than realising one should. I am confident that that too is a phase. (Presto evidently thought he was ready for the big-time...)



And the cause of their pooping - eating solid-food - is also progressing apace. My main worry in this case is that while I know each has eaten, I can’t be sure each is eating enough. Sometimes, Rho will eat the kittens’ food, not knowing that it isn’t for her. I can’t isolate her from the kittens while they eat, since they don’t all eat right away, and she would have to be separated until they ate, which is not feasible. The babies’ energy levels suggest that each is receiving enough nutrition from somewhere.



Somewhere still includes their mother. She is nursing much less often. I suspect that instinct is telling her not to give the children so many opportunities. But, good mother that she is, she will allow them to nurse whenever they start, wherever she may be.



The brood is now half-way toward the day they can be adopted, and I think Rhapsody is growing more ready for that all the time. Parenting isn’t easy. Whether mother or father, it’s hard work with little glory, and not much more recognition. The scene depicted below enacts itself a billion times a day, in a million species, in every country on Earth. Soon, though, Rho will be free to be herself again, and interact with others in the Cosy Cabin - and have more than one room to do it in.



It could be worse, I tell her. She could have twelve cats, not just five.

11 comments:

  1. the cosy cabin has become the crowded cabin, and we’ve had this discussion before; I realize that one…going…leaves room for incoming…but “ this “ situation is different with mom AND kids….I know you know, where Im going with this πŸΎπŸΎπŸΎπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I Have Twelve Cats" would make a great title for a Kaufman/Hart screwball comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miniature terrorists, with fire in their bellies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Title change coming anytime soon for this blog, lol. Love seeing how the kittens are progressing. Makes the weeks seem to be flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You currently have one more cat than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right - parenting isn't easy. I think it is just as hard on you as it is on Rho. But you're both doing an outstanding job. I see you've changed the name of your blog. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the blog's name remains the same; its arithmetic is just faulty.

      Delete
  7. If they are eating the kibble style kitten food, you could just leave it out all day and let them, and mom, nosh as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did laugh when I saw the subject line of "I have 12 cats" 😸😸

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this made me smile and feel good inside, the kittens are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheaper by the dozen? No matter the "count" ... adorable of course.

    ReplyDelete