Monday, May 25, 2026

The New Universe

The Tempos were released from the library for the first time this weekend. I took the precaution of locking away Indigo, Imogen and Millie in the bedroom and cat-room; the last two would probably show hostility to the kittens - not aggression, but hissing and growling that would frighten the babies. Those adults can meet the youngsters later. The other upstairs cats were snoozing in the sitting room, and I would watch for them waking. Thus, the upper floor was cleared for little explorers.


I noticed that Rhapsody had not wanted to come upstairs with the door to the library closed. I wanted her to come up for a change of scenery, but did not want to have to worry about the kittens. Mum, on the other hand, worried about them when the library door was shut. So I took the precautions detailed in the first paragraph, and left the library door open.



The Tempos wasted no time in finding the portal to the new universe. They climbed the stairs like experienced mountaineers - though at one point, Presto fell, and tumbled down the stairs in imitation of a Slinky. He was unhurt.



The interest the kittens have in the slippers I habitually wear indoors became fascination with my outdoor shoes: so full of outlandish smells, no doubt. That doesn’t explain why they tried eating them.



But once at the top of the stairs, the real adventures began. The babies were like archaeologists, finding all sorts of intriguing artefacts.



And Andante discovered a human litter-box.



I will reprise these opportunities on other days, though I will have to determine how to introduce the perma-cats to the Tempos sooner, rather than later. That will be my particular challenge.

10 comments:

  1. The new generation of explorers of the wild unknown. Good thing for carpeted steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wee straight-up tail of whoever it was coming up the steps just got heart shapes to flying all around me sitting here looking!!! Figuratively speaking, naturally. What a grand day that had to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In descending order on the stairs were Presto, Andante and Largo, though in one picture, you can see Vivace's head: she'd already climbed to the top.

      Delete
    2. I think then it was Adante whose tail was plump and straight up! Oh, my heart!

      Delete
  3. All of these pictures are just so delightful. Sweet little babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, look at them go! Intrepid explorers! They're growing up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck managing their explorations! That must have been so exciting for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wee potatoes are on the paw! LOOK OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are obviously having a lot of fun watching the kittens, and I am having such fun reading about their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are doing well a their exploring, and they try to eat your shoes for the same reason they eat anything else, as babies they are required to put everything in their mouths.

    ReplyDelete