Tuesday, May 26, 2026

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

The birthing bed remains in the library; it is useful for holding the kittens for a few seconds if I need a very brief respite from their attentions while I am cleaning. If I put more than one in there simultaneously, they may fall to wrestling and buy me more time. For the most part, though it certainly served us well, the birthing bed is just another playground.


But the Tempos are clever little beings. They don’t just use the space of the birthing bed. There is a drain in the bed’s side - for when washing it becomes necessary, I suppose - with a screw-on cap. At some point, the kittens managed to remove the cap. Yes, they eventually unscrewed a cap. Now, the hole of the drain has become a toy.


You can see here that Presto and Andante have invented a sort of blind fisticuffs. What astonished me was the length of Presto’s foreleg. That’s how long a kitten’s foreleg is when fully extended. It’s no wonder a cat’s jumping ability is so impressive: those stubby little limbs are like coiled springs.



Also, Andante has learned to hide and then rush the library door when I open it, in an attempt to escape, and last night, I saw him scratching at the door’s lower hinge. For all I know, he has determined that the door is held in place by a pin, and if the pin is removed, the door can be taken off.


You can’t make this stuff up.

7 comments:

  1. Unscrewing that cap *is* pretty impressive! πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  2. This crew might actually take over the world, in due course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. guyz…put de plug bak in, add waterz and fizh and prest toe…ewe haza fizhin pond 🐟🐟‼️πŸ˜ΈπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wise person once said, "To a cat all things are toys." I have no doubt that Andante will soon figure out how to get the library door open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are smart little things. Some at the shelter learn to open the doors and we have to block them and put signs on the doors to warn people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see these two are trying to figure out what they are both doing from opposite sides of the huge wall between them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS is why we all fall in love with cats!

    ReplyDelete