Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Just One of the Crowd


Parker has been out among the other cats for more than half an hour each of the past three nights. He doesn’t show much desire to interact with them, though he sniffed noses with Josie, and then backed away, emitting a low wail. For the most part, however, when he comes out of the library, he is curious but not intrusive.


Cammie is the most affected by the new boy’s release from quarantine. She doesn’t even care for him being in the library. While the others may try to smell Parker under the closed door, Cammie will hiss at the unseen guest. I try not to have all of my beasts out at once when the new fellow is walking about, but sometimes it’s impossible to arrange things that way. I want each to get used to Parker, but I also want my regulars to enjoy their normal lives.


I will allow our visitor out on the weekend for longer periods. The trouble is that I have to make time for this, as I can’t concentrate on doing anything during these periods, wanting to guard against any hostility that may result from cat meeting cat. It’s been more than a year since I’ve had a foster-cat, and I have to grow accustomed to the new situation as much as the cats.

15 comments:

  1. Well, Parker certainly looks relaxed enough. Trust Cammie to be the hissy one. LOL. She reminds me of Annie in terms of behaviour. :-)

    Fingers crossed things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. slow and steady....sounds like Miss Cammie is exercising her siamese princess powers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acclimating a new cat is never easy and it's always stressful for everyone - the cats and you! But you're introducing everyone slowly and that's important. Some hissing and noses being bent out of shape is to be expected, but each day that will become less and less. I'm sure that soon everyone will learn to live in peaceful coexistence even though they may not become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. And I will take peaceful co-existence. It's what all my perma-cats have, anyway.

      Delete
  4. guyz...frum wear we R over heer in TT; it troo lee lookz like everee thingz goin aye oh kay... ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks like it is going well and I am surprised at how well they are getting along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed that he is out for a half hour daily. Not surprised that Cammie is showing some attitude...I'd be disappointed if she didn't.

    Hope all goes well on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things are going well! Sometimes, the longer the separation from the newcomer the longer the chance for anxiety to build up. Cammie may feel the new cat will take away her place in the family and the affection of her beloved father. My cats who have previously suffered the loss of a loving enviornment seem most affected. Someone loved Cammie greatly in the past, she doesn't want to loose that love again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to give each of the beasts some time, just so they won't feel that things have changed for them.

      Delete
  8. I am tense here ! On the edge !!
    Feel like something is going to happens !.... Still stare =*x*=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! We don't want anything to happen. Stop that, Mr Puddy!

      Delete
  9. Looks like everyone is doing as well as possible with the new visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look quite calm there. I do understand you wanting to be fully present when he is out and about, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope they will eventually all get along. Have you sprayed the room with Feliway? That seems to help.

    ReplyDelete