Friday, January 20, 2017

Mild Worry

Josie has been a little out of sorts lately. Very soon after I wrote about her being the cat who finished everyone else’s left-overs, my Chubs started refusing food. I think this was on the same principle by which cats will stop eating whatever food of which their people buy the most; but this was more serious.

Josie lost interest in her soft-food, and then in her hard-food, which was even less usual. She did not seem especially put off by it; she would amble to the bowl and consider the food. She appeared not to lack an appetite; she would simply choose not to eat, and walk away as though she had decided that she was not interested. It didn’t matter what food I offered; adding FortiFlora had no effect.

In the last couple of days, the Great White has been eating more. Last evening, she was sitting on the bed, almost eager for her soft-food dinner, which was a good sign. And this morning, she ate from the hard-food bowl, as well. But she is not consuming as much as she should. I think she is still losing weight, though not by an alarming rate. I hope to borrow weigh-scales this weekend, and weigh everyone. If Josie has lost an appreciable amount, or if she reverts to refusing food, I will take her to the doctor.

Concern for these animals is constant and, unfortunately, they seem to provide one reason after another to worry about them. Hopefully, worrying about Josie in this instance will turn out to be without good cause.

13 comments:

  1. josie....ewe noe we send de manee blessings oh st francis yur way; we hope thiz purrhapz waz a case oh may bee a "cat cold" sinz a kitteh willna eat what a kitteh canna smell.....

    984 pawz crossed that ya keep on eatin N dad finds yur weight were it shuld be ~~~~~

    heerz two a frogmouth catfish kinda week oh end two all ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No uncle John, we're so sad to hear this. Josie, girl, EAT!!! Ya'; know ya' wanna. We're sendin' hugs fur all and lots of purrayers.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kidneys? Could she feel nauseous? We're crossing our fingers and paws it's nothing serious and that it will pass on its own. Purrs to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear Josie is "under the weather". When it comes to my cats, I tend to be an overanxious mother, so I understand how concerned you are. The good news is that her appetite is improving, so she is feeling better. But I would keep an eye on her food intake and weight, and if things don't go back to normal, I would give the vet a call. All cats go off their food at times, but you don't want to let things go for too long. Josie, paws crossed that you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand and I feel badly with you. I know how it is. We love them, we want to keep them happy and well and things go awry...we don't always know what to do. It make ME worry here at my house when she goes all topsy turvy. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josie, you need to eat. I worried endlessly when my Jessie's appetite waned. The worry consumed much of my thoughts. Holly is sitting beside me as I write this and we are sending thoughts of food to you and Josie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Josie. We hope she is eating better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Josie is improving! Sending lots of healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't recall if Josie has any renal issues. Excess stomach acid may be causing her a bit of a problem.
    (Tanya's Guide to Feline Renal Failure has an excellent explanation of the effects of renal disease on increased stomach acid.) Maybe 1/4 th tab of Famotidine 10mg might help her tummy feel more comfortable. Sweet Josie will be in our prayers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear Josie. We are purring your appetite returns!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cats send their purrs that Josie is feeling better. I've been so fortunate with my three, feeding is never an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am wondering if she was constipated and the fortiflora helped with that. Also, she could have a dental issue. I will be praying for sweet Josie.

    ReplyDelete