Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Perceptions of Orange

Perception is a strange thing. An image may remind you of something which, in fact, it barely resembles.

Parker is settling in nicely. He has a bit of an issue with the other cats going into ‘his’ library when he is out, and he shows too much interest when his roommates visit the litter-boxes. I am working on changing his thoughts on those occasions. He is very friendly and, in almost all things, easy-going.

I was in an armchair in the sitting room over the weekend and I saw a form approaching. It was orange, with a white, lacy bib on its chest. For the briefest of instances, I thought it was Tungsten walking toward me. It was, of course, Parker.

His resemblance to Tungsten is slight. In shape and size, gait and attitude, they are contrasts. Even his shade of orange is deeper, redder. But, caught at a certain angle, or performing a certain activity, and I am reminded of the tiny terror.

Each cat is different, as different as each human. I would never object to taking care of an orange cat, even a thin, little female, just because of a superficial comparison to Tungsten. Personalities quickly impose a new character on what may appear to be an old form. I will never worry about mistaking a strange cat for the orange one.

But perception is a strange thing, and now and then, for an immeasurably short span of time, Tungsten walks toward me across the room.


16 comments:

  1. guys....call uz crazed if ya will... but purrhapz fora breef few secondz....tungsten waz walkin towards yur dad.....ya noe....

    therz been a couple oh timez when de food serviss gurl had a second ore two ta think....whoa....sauce iz rite ther.....

    but...it bee tuna...in de rite kinda shadow at nite that haz made her think sew....

    yet...then again ~~~~ !!♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if they could come back long enough to hold.

      Delete
  2. And I'm sure it fills your heart with joy to be thinking of her once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember shortly after my Tigger passed away, there was a form sleeping in "his" spot in the middle of the night in the living room. I almost had a heart attack until I realized it was another of the cats....it only happened that once too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, memories are strange things. They pop in your mind when you least expect it. Perhaps that's good, but also maybe a little painful. It means the ones we love will forever be in our hearts and they will always be with us. My Cody has been gone almost 20 years, and I still tear up whenever I unexpectedly see a Maine Coon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right in that the smallest of things can remind us of our loved ones, whether or not there's any real resemblance. I think that in your shoes, I'd see Tungsten too, quite often and for a mere split second. And it's possible that she IS there, given your bond. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tungsten was a special cat (of course they all are) and she occupies a place still in your heart. Even a year after her passing I still sometimes expect my Jessie to be waiting in the kitchen for her breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand it. When my Silver passed, I would often look towards "her" chair and think I caught a glimpse of her. In your case, while Parker may be bigger and with a different color, I can see that moment when the mind tricks the eyes. Perhaps Tungsten sent him to you just for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sweet sad moment. For one brief second you had her back.
    I lost my Tally on Saturday night in the emergency room to pulmonary edema. How, why: status unknown. No time for either of us to prepare for the loss of the other. Even one second more would be a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about this. That must have been especially hard for you. I am sure how you treated Tally every day demonstrated your love. But it is still very hard. Godspeed, Tally.

      Delete
  9. That's nice. Tungsten would be pleased that you have another orange buddy in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, mommy says dat happens to her offen. And sometimes with a kitty dat looks nuffin' like da one it reminds her of. It might be an action, or head turn, or any other little thing. Mommy says she just calls them stolen moments in time. We had dat same litterbox issue hear recently. Fankfully, it's been solved and is over now. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are times when Ralphie does something and it will bring back memories of my Renn. There are times I even call him Renn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you had a Renn, too, and spelled the same way. We never stop missing them.

      Delete
  12. Some of the staff were worried that I would remind them too much of Tober, being orange and handsome like he was. Rather than too much, I think I remind them just enough. The comparisons people make always elicit stories about us both, so I'm glad we're both orange and handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since Tungsten, I've had a soft spot for your sort, Chance. It's just now and then that I make a mistake; personality, in cats as in people, is the big difference - as your people can tell you.

      Delete