Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Parker the Explorer

My new foster-cat, Parker, is quite the explorer. He currently is also a bit of a restless spirit, as he begins to find a place for himself in the crowded apartment. That is to be expected.


He likes to discover what is behind closed doors, which gave me a start on Sunday, when he rushed past me and out our front door. I was taking laundry to the washing machines down the building’s ground floor corridor and, accustomed to my cats’ knowledge of their limits, did not expect to be brushed aside by an orange flash. But once outside the apartment, Parker hesitated. I did not, and, seizing him, deposited him back inside. That’s something for which I will have to watch. Josie sometimes wants outside but her curious pace will never get her there. Making a dash for it is another matter.


Then there is Parker’s jumping. There’s no neuropathy due to diabetes in his back legs. He has been on my kitchen counters several times, following smells, no doubt, but also to get to the ledge that runs under the window. This weekend, he evidently used it to launch himself onto the top of the cupboards. Whenever he sees me unexpectedly, he trills “mrrrrrp”. I was trying to find him Saturday afternoon and heard his greeting twice, but could not see him. He’s almost nineteen pounds, hefty and long, but invisible. Then I saw him above me. I don’t think he could have gotten down, as he had not yet figured out that the refrigerator gives him a kind of step to the counters. I helped him to the floor and sternly told him not to jump up to the cupboards again. I am sure he listened. This time.


The boys mind him the least. Renn will give his low, warning moan at certain times, but just to let the newcomer know who is higher in the hierarchy. There may be tense moments if Parker catches Renn sniffing about the library: Renn will groan deeply while Parker, big fellow that he is, emits a series of high-pitched peeps, like a newly hatched chick. I will hear an alternating rhythm of “errrrrrrr” and “eeeeep” - “errrrrrrr…eeeeep…errrrrrrr…eeeeep…errrrrrrr…eeeeep…errrrrrrr…eeeeep…” It’s like a showdown between James Earl Jones and Tiny Tim. But neither seems inclined to fight.


Much of the time, Parker simply walks about, noting different new scents and scenes. Then he will settle down for a snooze somewhere, often near me. But he’s been on the sitting room couch and an armchair. I believe that normality is an ally in cat-integration; the more a resident feline sees a new arrival about the place, doing ordinary cat-things, the sooner, and easier, will be the latest cat’s inclusion. But as usual, I will let the beasts set the pace. As usual, I really don’t have a say in the matter.

12 comments:

  1. sounds like Parker is all about having it his way. mom laughs here since newbies usually get about 3 days of hissing from Tommy before he gives up and surrenders to having someone else in HIS space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker is actually pretty easy going, but as a new boy, he likely feels the library is his safe zone. I want to have him feel that the whole apartment is his safe zone.

      Delete
  2. Almost 19 pounds! My goodness, he's even a bit bigger than Chumley was at his highest weight of 18 pounds and a bit. And yet Parker still is agile enough to get to the top of the cupboards and make a dash out the door. Way to go, Parker. LOL. He'll keep you on your toes for a bit, at any rate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing about Parker's escapades. He seems to be quite a character, and he's sure keeping you on your toes!. (Way to go, Parker!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. parker...whoa dood....de last place ya knead ta bee iz out doorz....we haz dasherz heer two....all but dai$y frank lee ....N grate caushunz kneaded any time a door two de outside werld iz open...spesh a lee with me.....tuna.....thiz summer eye got past de access door; thru de garage; down de drive N was like 2 feet frum de street bee fore de food gurl caught me; her said: thanx for takin 10 yeerz outta her life ....what ever that meened ~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna, I know exactly what the food-girl meant. It would've done the same to me - and I can probably afford the time less than she can.

      Delete
  5. I howled when I read the sentence, "I am sure he listened". Parker is definitely making life interesting. Good to hear, he and the other cats are tolerating one another.

    Saku has been known to dash out the front door. But as soon as he realizes he's outdoors he collapses to his belly on the front walk and freezes. It makes him easy to catch. Good luck with Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cats seem quite tolerant of Parker and it sounds as if things are going well with his settling in. He is lovely and I am surprised people aren't rushing to adopt him. But hen maybe people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, diabetic cats aren't much in demand. They count as 'special needs'; they require a little extra work, but once the routine is established, it isn't much. Their costs are greater than the average cat. But I've found the satisfaction of knowing that I am helping to make an afflicted cat's life normal and enjoyable is uplifting.

      Delete
  7. Aaaaaaaaaw How purrecious. Mommy says me should tell you we call dat a meweek. Me still uses mes baby meweek most of da time. Occasionally me will use a more adult meow, but not offen. MOL Big hugs to all.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see him integrating so well. Amazing that he is so agile for being so big.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving Parker. Those big fellows just seem to be such sweethearts.
    Your method for integration of a new cat into the family is one I use. The longer they're separated, the longer time for anxiety to build up. Things seem to be working out very well for everyone. It's a good feeling. A bit of things going right in a world with lots of things going "wrong".

    ReplyDelete