Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Dinner with Neville

My house-guest, Neville, is doing much better with regard to eating. I don’t think it was just a matter of him being in a new environment. His foster-guardian says that he is a very picky eater. But I tried something new.

While he was on my lap - he is an affectionate fellow - I offered him a small dish of food. He ate that, so I expanded the amount and, eventually, moved the dish to a spot near by on the couch. I continued to pet him as he ate. This action diminished until I was just sitting with him during his meals. Now I can leave him alone and he eats most of what he is given. When he seems reluctant, I talk to him and pet him.

Neville wants to eat, and this morning, when I brought him food, he was clearly waiting for his sustenance, and tucked into it right away, which is a welcome change from his first day or two. Last evening, he finished off almost two tins of Fancy Feast between five o’clock and ten-thirty. I left him some food when I departed for work this morning.


The solution to his problem may simply be a matter of getting him started on his meals, or it may be a matter of placement; putting the bowl on the floor gets the contents ignored. Putting it on the couch generates more interest. Certainly, petting him during the meal helps a great deal.

Neville is a grand little cat, and I would have no difficulty welcoming him as a permanent resident if he had no where else to go. But my resources, in both time and money, are stretched right now. When Parker was with me, I wasn’t spending all the time I wanted with them that the cats wanted; I still am not, but I am doing better. Even with integration, I think Neville would need a great deal of immediate companionship; in other words, he would probably be high-maintenance.

So he will have two more days with me, hopefully packing in the food he needs, and enjoying being petted on that smooth head and skinny body. As usual with my foster-cats, no matter how short a time they stay, I will miss him when he goes.

15 comments:

  1. Neville, what a charming mancat! Here's hoping his next residence will give him the attention he needs right now; no doubt, as he settles in, his courage will grow and his world will expand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Bless! That is great news..he seems happy,
    and seems to enjoy his small time holiday, you'll
    miss him John when he goes, and for sure he'll
    miss you..hopefully you'll be able to visit him
    or see him again once in a while..Lovely! Even l
    feel happy for both of you..Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems such a sweet guy, and he'd be quite handsome with a different haircut. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping that his fur will grow out, but it seems to be taking a long time.

      Delete
  4. I sure hope he finds a special forever home where he will get all the attention he desires and deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe he would do best as an only cat, where he could have the full attention of his human. Whatever happens to him in the future, I hope he gets the love and attention he needs for his emotional and physical health. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. dood....we wish ewe all de best noe matterz wear ya iz, R ore will bee ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you Neville. We are glad that you are finding some comfort in Johns company and have a full belly. Even miss pops has never managed 2 fancy feasts in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Brian. I believe Neville indeed is. Look at how trust and comfort with you. It would go straight to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neville is such a wonderful cat. I knew he'd get the love and care he needed at the Cozy Inn. Hopefully he'll find a great home where he'll get all the love and attention he needs. Will you be able to give us updates on how he's doing in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, but Neville is a bit of a tough sell, with his diabetes. There must be a caring person out there for him, one willing to take on his care.

      Delete
  10. We do hope that those who take in this gentlecat, for the next leg of his journey, take your information and apply it so he can put a little meat on that handsome body of his. It is amazing what a little TLC can do for a finicky old cat, in both directions

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looks such a happy boy with you. I hope that when he returns to his original carer that they will continue the good work and progress you have made with him.

    ReplyDelete