Monday, October 14, 2024

Too Smart For Her Own Good

Operation Creamsicle is not going well. I have not been able to trap any of the three cats I want to take with me when I move. They are proving either evasive or elusive. I have seen Arliss only once in the last two weeks. Cicero ignores the traps completely, not even considering the food inside them. And Sable has used her intelligence and experience to avoid every pitfall.

She’s a smart one, all right. I have watched her enter a trap and eat the food left in a trail for her. If there is food beyond the trip-platform, she will ignore it. I realised this and started leaving food on the far edge of the raised trip-platform; Sable then stretched as far as she could and pulled the food away with her claws. She then backed out of the trap without touching the sides or the top. I’ve watched her go into and out of a trap three times in one instance, taking food with her each time. During other attempts, she will circle the trap, knowing that there is food within but will, ultimately, not go in, suspicious of the set-up.

I have tried all kinds of bait, including regular cat food, Temptation Treats, sardines, cheese, Kentucky Fried Chicken (which has not failed before) and raw beef. I have used traps covered and uncovered. I have re-positioned traps. I have a few more tactics to try, but I am running out of both ideas and time.

Nonetheless, on this Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful for what I have been able to do. I was able to capture Tiffany, for my erstwhile neighbour, and Moxy, for a possible future adoption. I am very grateful for the new home into which I will be moving shortly, and for my new landlord’s welcoming attitude to the cats I will have, and for the reasonable rent. There are too many things for which I am grateful, in fact, to list here. Suffice it to say that, even I don’t trap any outsiders, I will remain thankful for my life, and the opportunities it has given me.

5 comments:

  1. She's a wily one! As you are doing everything humanly possible, I think that if it's meant to be, it will happen. Or perhaps that's just something humans like to think, to comfort ourselves. Nonetheless, do what you can and surrender the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. From my experience with trapping ferals, I swear they read your mind and know exactly what you're planning. If only they could understand that it's for their own good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear this is not going as planned. To save them all would be so good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Operation Creamsicle doesn't seem to be going well, but you are doing your best. Hopefully you will soon be able to trap Sable, Arliss and Cicero. You were able to get Tiffany and Moxy, and that's something to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry they are being obstinate. I hope someone else is also looking out for them. She is very intelligent!

    ReplyDelete