Thursday, October 2, 2025

Heart's Ease


Brazil received some good news yesterday, though he was not aware of it. The test that the veterinary ran on his heart is called, I believe, the NT-proBP test, and it finds signs of heart disease, or the lack thereof. It doesn’t rule out heart disease, but a good result strongly suggests that there is none. In some cases, the test’s results are positive or negative (the former being bad, the latter good). In the test administered Tuesday, the choices were normal and abnormal. Brazil is normal.


Shimmer still has a heart murmur. The doctor said that that can be caused by factors other than heart disease; stress is one (a likely cause with a nervous and timid cat), while another is an extra membrane in the organ. That is the reason for the heart murmur in the doctor’s own cat. That can be proved with an ultrasound, but is not necessary for Brazil.


More to the point, he is unlikely to have heart disease, and he can have his dental surgery, which I will arrange today. He won’t like that, of course, but in the long run, he will feel much improved. I feel better already.

12 comments:

  1. Better new for both of you. He'll most likely be back to his old self when surgery is over and all healed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent news. Perhaps getting his teeth fixed will relieve his stress levels, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very good news. I hope his dental goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is excellent news! I'm greatly relieved that Brazil is okay and his dental can be scheduled. A break for you at last; thank you, Universe! 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for good news and I hope the dental goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such great news! I'm sure Brazil will feel better once his dental problems are dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What good news. Being able to have the dental work will be a relief in the long run, even if he hates it in the short term.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better teeth, will make life so much more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete