Saturday, July 11, 2026

And Then There's Brazil...

Brazil has long had a problem. At times, he will wet inappropriately, sometimes on my bed, sometimes on a couch. The usual lines of inquiry have been followed, more than once: blood-work, urinalysis, physical examination. He continues to use the litter-box; I don’t believe that his wetting outside of the box has anything to do with need. I have taken precautions against continued soiling of furniture, but this mitigates damage, and doesn’t eliminate the problem. One of the puzzling aspects is that occurrences are not regular, and do not follow any pattern. Brazil may go for a couple of weeks without an incident. I do believe it is related to some kind of stress, but what causes it is a mystery. Predictable sources (eg. rambunctious kittens) are not necessarily responsible.


As readers can guess, this situation poses a problem for Shimmer’s potential adoption, though, being also a very shy cat, he tends to receive little interest from anyone.


I and the rescue-group will be trying a new drug called venlafaxine, which has had some success treating in cats the very problem Brazil is experiencing. We hope to speak to a veterinary about it in the next week.


Treating this trouble is, of course, not just for Shimmer’s adoption potential. It is a matter of hygiene, and it will give him peace of mind, because I know he realizes he does wrong whenever it happens.


I will let readers know when anything new develops.


9 comments:

  1. I love the photos. Poor Brazil. I understand that there are various medications that can help with inappropriate urination. I'll be interested to hear what the vet recommends. Good luck, Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece's cat was doing that from time to time so she has him on kitty Prozac and he is fine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Alex was also on Prozac and it was very helpful.

      Delete
  3. He is certainly a handsome cat. Purrayers that something helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brazil is so good looking and orange cats are usually such snugglers, I’m amazing he’s having such trouble finding a home. I do hope the meds help with the immediate problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't (of course) know about Brazil's unfortunate happening. I hope to goodness he gets the help hoped for. I will be looking for further updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have our paws crossed that this med works for Brazil Nut.
    Our Henry has bouts of something like Brazil's; is it from his illness, or stress, or what?
    Am keeping a log of incidents, to try to find a pattern.
    Nothing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a shy cat could in itself cause stress, I suppose. Here's hoping the new meds help the poor guy.

    ReplyDelete