Thursday, July 9, 2026

The Results of the Hospital Visit

Rhapsody and the remaining Tempos went to the hospital yesterday, the latter for their booster-shots, their mother for an assessment of her health.


Rho’s abdomen is free of fluids. It was probably the debris from an infection, which the anti-biotics she received cleared up. I figured that she was improved, considering her behaviour. She has also gained weight, going from 3.65 kilograms at her previous appointment to 4.14. I also thought that that had been the case, as I could feel she was heavier, and see that her sides have filled out a little. She is, however, now fussier in what she will eat. This has been a common trait I have noticed among former outsider cats: they will gratefully eat anything, and a lot of it, the first few weeks or months subsequent to their rescue, after which they become pickier. But that her poundage has increased shows that she is getting what she needs. She was given her vaccinations and will be spayed in about two weeks. The delayed surgery-date is due not just to the vaccination but to all that has occurred to her recently: the infection, the medicine, the recovery from pregnancy.


The little boys all received their booster-shots except for Presto, who has a small abscess on a rear leg. It is probably due to a scratch or bite suffered while playing with his brothers. The way they rough-house, I’m surprised they all don’t have broken limbs and internal injuries. As a consequence of the damage, Presto is being given anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory medicine, and will have to wait for his vaccination. He is a terror to give drugs to, even in liquid form, but it must be done. He is as active as ever.


Over all, their doctor was very pleased with their condition. She did mention that the Tempos seem to have fat bellies, and worries a bit about that. She suggested I cut back on their food a little. I didn’t think one could feed kittens too much. Besides, it’s tough to determine if any one of them is eating more or less than the others. I suspect they will be relatively scrawny, gawky adolescents soon enough…


12 comments:

  1. Kittens are supposed to be roly poly, no?
    Fat bodies, tiny legs, big ears, and little stub tailios.
    Good to read that Rho is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking. If I ever saw skinny kittens, I'd worry.

      Delete
  2. Presto changeo, Presto will soon recover and have to go back for the shots he's glad he did not get yet. Good news about Rho. And never thought about active kittens getting to fat. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went well for all, minus the abscess, of course.

    Really, cut back on kitten food? They're growing youngsters and will burn it all off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome news. Very welcome and I agree with Kim. They are growing youngsters and need their for I don't agree with the Vet though I can't be there to assess, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes rescued kitties a bit of time to realize Yes, they will get food ! Then it is another step tio thinking Well, I can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad their trip to the vet went well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that the trip to the vet went well. It was especially good to hear that Rho got a clean bill of health. I have to agree with your other readers - growing kittens will burn off their food. Not to mention, monitoring food intake in a multi-cat household is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know Rho is doing so much better. Presto, sorry you got an abscess, but those meds will help it to feel better and to heal up.
    Fat kittens, as if!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad they are doing so well. Presto will be better before you know it and I've never heard of limiting kitten feedings, eithers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure the kittens are fine. Glad there were no big issues for mum and babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. rhapsody eye bee buzzed aza bumblee happee de naztee iz gone frum ewe…N presto…heerz hopin yur woond heelz quik lee and all iz well….
    lotz oh cal o reez in kitten foodz….purr hapz itz time for ewe doodz ta
    start N joyin big cat chow…like gazelle πŸ˜ΈπŸ’šπŸΎ‼️

    ReplyDelete