Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Looking Him in the Eye


Yesterday, Presto went to the doctor again for a second opinion on his left eye. The eye is still not clear enough for a very good examination, but it does look like the lens is detached. Depending on where it is in the eyeball, it could settle back into place, or it could cause further problems. In the meantime, there is pressure building, and the doctor is worried about the possibility of glaucoma developing.



There is a chance that a special surgery can correct the problem, if the exact problem could be identified. That surgery would be very expensive and not necessarily conclusive. It’s not felt to be practical for Presto.


For now, he continues to receive the Prednisolone drops - which have reduced some swelling and discomfort - but he is probably looking at the loss of an eye.


14 comments:

  1. Presto has a very serious condition it seems. I can't imagine how a lens would reattach but I hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my amateur and armchair perspective it seems that if odds are good that he will lose his eye, better sooner than later, so he can recover more quickly and adjust. Poor Presto! I doubt having only one eye would slow him down in the end, though. Give him a snuggle from me. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry to read that possibility. I know that if he is in a home the rest of his life ,he will be alright with the loss of one eye. But it hurts we humans when that happens. When we see how well they adapt, we are able to get by with reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sew sorrre dood…sure iz knot a good thing ta haz happen…eye noe ewe wood bee aye oh kay N all that jazz, but….it still sux like a vacuum masheen….ta looze yur eye….if thatz what it comez two…..
    heerz hopin it doez knot 💚💚💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad news, but at least Presto is with a home where he’ll get the best of care. I shudder to think what would have happened to him—and the rest of Rhapsody’s babies—if she hadn’t been rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What awful news. I agree with Lynn - I would be surprised if the lens
    re-attaches. But as Kea said, if the condition is causing him discomfort, perhaps it should be attended to sooner rather than later. Cats adjust very well to the loss of one eye. Is there a chance that it will affect his other eye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the cause is genetic, then there is a possibility of both eyes being affected.

      Delete
  7. Poor guy. I had hoped for better news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll get you a kitten-sized eye patch, Presto, and the ladies will go wild.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purrayers that the little guy will get better !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am saddened to read this. I sure hope he isn't feeling too awful with his bad eye problem. And I pray that his still good eye will not suffer the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's harder on us, I think, than on the cat. We've had one-eyed and blind cats at the rescue more than once, they adjust to life and have as much fun and joy as any other cats. Same with those which have lost a limb.

    ReplyDelete