Wednesday, December 5, 2018

It's Not Over Yet, Raleigh

Yesterday, Raleigh went to the doctor for a check-up, following the removal of most of his teeth. Unlike Tucker, Peachy’s teeth were taken away from him because of stomatitis. This is, as explained by the veterinary, a severe allergic reaction to the plaque growing on the teeth; the removal of the teeth removes the plaque, most of the time. Unfortunately, Raleigh is a rarity.

Raleigh’s stomatitis is still with him. I had noticed that he was shaking his head sometimes when he ate, throwing about bits of food (both hard and soft) - not intentionally, but as if in efforts to chew something difficult. He was also becoming choosy about what he ate. The last characteristic may be due to becoming accustomed to living in a safe environment where, if he disliked one variety of food, he knew that another would be provided. In any case, it was time the doctor saw him again.

The stomatitis is not going away and is causing him pain, according to the veterinary. The cure for this is a course of steroids. Starting today, my ugly Spaniel, as I call him, will be given two daily helpings of oral steroid medicine. This will be very hard on the kidneys, which is why the first course will be given for only a week. Then Raleigh will be examined again.

Since he has to have the harsh steroid programme, I of course wish that he could have received it instead of his dental work, which now seems to me to have been unnecessary. But that is done, and there is no undoing it. I just have to hope that the new medicine isn’t too hard on my boy. Steroids must be very like a poison, for the kidneys to work ‘round the clock to eradicate them. The hope is that they take the stomatitis with them when they go.

Raleigh has FIV, and that is a grave danger to him at the best of times. But his kidneys and heart are strong. The doctor believes Peachy will be able to withstand the shock of the steroids. We will know next Thursday. Until then, Raleigh will have to take his medicine like a mancat, and I will watch him closely.

Life hasn’t been easy for this little fellow. I can only hope that he finds some compensation in a warm spot to sleep at night, regular food and the affection of a strange human.

15 comments:

  1. Oh John, your HUGE amount of love for Raleigh will surely see him through this new...and hopefully short-lived...set-back! What a glorious kitty; he's a beauty. Sending positive vibes up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope this is only a short-lived setback as well. Is it Prednisolone? Better than Prednisone, I think, though I don't understand the difference between the two.

    The boys are sending him (and Tucker) healing purrs. Fingers crossed Raleigh is better soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia, Prednisone and Prednisilone are similar, but Prednisone is not metabolized well by cats, so a cat may not absorb the full dose of the medication. Therefore, vets usually order Prednisilone for feline patients.

      Delete
  3. Oh Raleigh we will purr and pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope he won't have to be on steroids for long. Prayers to the spirits for better health for the little guy very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Raleigh, you poor thing. Paws and fingers crossed that your new medication will soon have you feeling much better. John, please keep us posted regarding his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor Raleigh - hopefully this will help get everything out of his system

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is lucky to have you taking such good care of him, but my heart hurts for the poor boy. I hope the steroids work without any bad side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor guy can't catch a break. I will be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's hope this does the trick with no aftereffects. Raleigh must have been suffering terribly when he was out in the wild. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for catching him and giving him such a loving home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor dear Raleigh. I do hope that the answer to his troubles is found soon. I know the steroids can be hard - we having some issues with Holly and steroid use. I hope that Raleigh gets better soon. I am thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish he didn't have to have steroids. But perhaps that is best. Sending smoochies to him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry Raleigh is having so much trouble. Thanks for you nice wishes for Two Two. Two Two is on steroids too. We sure wish the very best for Raleigh. I have had two cats that have had to have all their teeth taken out and they do fine, but it is hard for them to eat. Mine even eat dry food. So hang in there. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dood....we iz late with R wishez but they hold troo none de less; de manee blessingz oh st francis two ewe; we gotz 984 pawz crossed timez 3 for ya; life haz knot been fair....we hope ya get de break ewe dee serve ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor boy! I've gone back in time to catch up on the posts, I hope the next update provides better news.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete