Friday, December 14, 2018

Once More Unto the Breach

Raleigh’s latest appointment at the veterinary hospital yesterday had good results. His stomatitis is diminishing, as I thought it might be, based on Peachy’s behaviour with his food. (He ‘fights’ with it much less now while chewing, and is less picky about the menu.) Even a cursory examination of the boy’s mouth showed much less red.

This prompted the doctor to halve Raleigh’s steroid dose; he will now take the same amount of medicine but once a day, instead of twice. This will continue for a week, when he will be re-assessed. The veterinary will be on holiday then, but I can still contact him about the patient, and send him photographs of Raleigh’s mouth (assuming I can take them) via the telephone.

The pleasing outcome of the visit was followed by Raleigh’s eager return to the safety of home, where he showed me that he continues to gain confidence. He didn’t hide at all, and was ready for dinner, of which he ate a large amount.

Peachy may still need to be on prednisolone (the steroid he is taking) for some time, but the doctor suggested a possibility of a portion of a tablet every few days, or some similar dose. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, however, so I will be happy with yesterday’s results, and with the fact that Raleigh is clearly suffering less discomfort. I think this will be a good Christmas for him.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! N & D will continue to send their purrs to him.

    I think it's already a good Christmas for him, even if he doesn't understand events the way in which we do. He knows he's safe and warm and fed and loved, and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear he's doing better! I'm hoping this is just the beginning of better times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Raleigh! I'm so glad his health is improving. What a great Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Raliegh is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful thing to read this morning! Great news for you and Raleigh. I take it he will continue the prednisolone until all redness is gone? Will his thyroid be unaffected at the dose he is taking? Raleigh, you are showing how good you feel now. That makes all of us so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Raleigh, I am so pleased to hear that he is feeling so much better and his health is greatly improving. I Now you can enjoy Christmas.
    We are getting through a bit of a health crisis here - waiting for exam report with results that will be ready next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it will be a tense week for you. Whether it is you or Holly, I hope the report is a good one. Please keep me informed.

      Delete
  7. Thank you. Holly has had many trips to the vet and had to undergo ultrasound exams on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such good news! Purrs from the kitties that you continue on this path to good health, Raleigh!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete