Monday, October 7, 2019

Getting to Know the Thin Man

I am becoming better acquainted with Neville, and he with me. It has taken a while for him to warm up to me, as he was rather stand-offish for a while. That’s understandable. I have noted that, like Josie, the Thin Man’s tail-action doesn’t always correspond with other signs, such as purring and kneading. He is a good example of the individuality of each cat, and how each must be known separately.


For his part, he is coming out of the library more and more. He could certainly stay in there, if he wished, and sometimes he does, for whole evenings, or hours at a time. But he will come out, too, usually heading for the tall cat-tree in the sitting room. If he disliked the fact that there were five other cats in the household to any great extent, he would remain in his safe-zone. He is coming to realise, however, that his new residence comprises a collection of loners and that, except for Raleigh, the other beasts want to know him as much as he wants to know them. I think he has decided that he can live with that.


Putting Nevsky back in his room for the night entails some grumbling and growling from him and, though I am wary of this cat who is, after all, still rather a stranger to me, I am beginning to suspect that, like Cammie, he is more hiss than bite. My guard will, though, remain at the ready for now. But for the most part, my new foster-cat’s integration is going well; it could be better, but it could be much worse.

15 comments:

  1. Nevsky is a handsome mancat, and it's good to know that there is progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you can see what a stunning cat he is in that last photo!

    Ideally everyone would get along well, curl up together, groom each other, etc. But peaceful co-existence is the next best thing! Continued good thoughts for his integration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neville. You are truly a handsome mancat. And I think your aura of mystery will dissipate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dood....yur lookin most fluffee in yur last foto....veree handsum...

    may bee ewe could spend yur time doin sum investigatin round yur room; rather like yur name sake frum de film title...who noez what ya mite diss cover !! ;) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last picture of Neville. He is absolutely beautiful. It seems like he is adjusting very nicely. Since he "complains" when you put him back in his room for the night, I wonder if he would rather stay wherever he is, and he could move into another room when he wants to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may think that, but I suspect neither he nor the others are ready for unsupervised interaction - or the chance of it - yet.

      Delete
  6. We are glad to hear that handsome Neville is settling in some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad to hear Nev’s integration is progressing. I know from long experience how tricky it can be to bring a newcomer into the household.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope he continues to adjust. Such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was'nt there a film and TV series called
    The Thin Man...
    So pleased that Neville is finding his feet,
    ooops, sorry, paws..he's a lovely looking
    fella to..as the last photo shows..! Bless!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is looking very handsome and relaxed in the second photo. I am glad he is accepting you and everything around him. Some cats are happier with acquaintances rather than friends, and it seems that he is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a handsome boy! That lost photo is stunning. I'm glad to hear he is starting to integrate, though I agree going slow is for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John! My fur-kids and I just wanted to wish you and your furry housemates a very wonderful and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roberta. I hope you are having a wonderful day and week, holiday or no, you and all yours.

      Delete
  13. Our elder Buddy was quite the unpredictable fellow for years and I had to watch for the bitey. Now he will grab my hand when I do something he disagrees with but no worries about puncture. (In his prime 18 pounds of alpha cat is someone to respect) We are so glad he fitting in well

    ReplyDelete