Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rebus and Rhombus

My luck is holding: I was able to catch two young cats this morning. The first is an all-black kitten, with a little bit of white on his chest. He went in, enticed by the aroma of sardines, not long after I set the traps. I have named him Rebus.


I had noticed another cat sniffing after the bait in the other trap, so, after I brought Rebus into the building, I decided to be optimistic. Even as I opened the back door of the building, I saw and heard the trap being sprung. This fellow is black and white. I call him Rhombus.


Both were terrified, much more than Medallion was. That girlcat had been the most out-going of the kittens before the trapping, and these two new ones, whom I am assuming to be boys until I learn otherwise, are much more skittish. They were banging themselves against their cages in panic until I covered the traps with blankets.

They will go to the veterinary hospital today for their surgeries. Hopefully, they will be in and out and, if male, not have to spend the day and next night at my apartment recovering. (Medallion is there now, to be released later this afternoon.)

While my luck has been in, there is a complication. I have now caught a black cat and a black-and-white cat. remaining to be caught are…a black cat and a black-and-white cat. I will have to note careful any distinguishing marks Rebus and Rhombus have so I don’t re-trap the poor beasts and take them unnecessarily to the veterinary.

But, so far, so good. I will check later to see if the veterinary hospital can perform a surgery tomorrow. If not, I will conclude the operation for this week, and begin again the next.

14 comments:

  1. congrats on taking such good care to capture and spay and neuter the
    3 kittens so far. hope you have no trouble remembering their color
    markings for the future.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! Well done! Won't they ear-tip them while they're being neutered or is that not done anyjore for feral cats that have been TNRed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good work in getting these fellows out of the fight and impregnate game. If they get an ear tip it should be easier to see who gets a fast release and who goes for their needed attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't cut the ear-tip here. They dye the ear, and it's hard to see it afterward.

      Delete
  4. Once again, high five for catching two more! These cats will now have lives that won't be beset by territorial fights and raging hormones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on catching Rebus and Rhombus! Hopefully all will go well with their surgery. I was surprised to read that ear-tips are not cut in Canada since it is so difficult to see the dye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is done in many parts of Canada, just not in my town. Many things are not done in my town...

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed with your success so far, and may the good luck continue. I know I've thanked you before for going to so much trouble for these cats, but, heck, I'm thanking you again. It was a misery trapping my last bunch of feral kittens, and they were living in my back yard at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck has played a great part in this activity - so far - and in my previous trapping endeavour ('Operation Slim Pickens'). As you write, may the good luck continue!

      Delete
  7. Good job! And good luck with the other 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's wonderful and I'm sure they are terrified but at least they have a shot at being healthier. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much on their behalf John. I had not realized how terrifying this is for them. It only lasts a little while and they will benefit for always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, some of them fly into a panic at being suddenly caged, and will throw themselves at the sides of the trap. Little Rhombus bloodied his nose doing that yesterday. That's why we always have a blanket to put over the trap; it calms them down, like covering a horse's head to lead him out of a burning barn.

      Delete