Monday, October 14, 2019

Thanksgiving Thoughts


As is traditional here in the cosy apartment, I like to write, each Thanksgiving Day, an article regarding my gratitude. I certainly have much for which to be thankful this year.

The cats are doing well. Josie is my oldest. Yet, at fifteen, she shows few overt signs of age, and her last medical examination found nothing more serious than the beginnings of kidney trouble, something not uncommon in aging cats. My Chubs has had all but three of her teeth removed, it is true, but this has not decreased either her appetite or her physical action of eating. She is ever so slowly losing weight, something on which I keep my eye, but she eats well, drinks a good amount of water, and can still jump from the cat-tree by the bedroom window on to the bed, and vice versa.


Tucker too is losing poundage, but at his recent check-up, the veterinary was not worried about it. I am beginning a treatment of salmon oil to help the roly poly’s coat. Otherwise, he is doing well: his diabetes is being managed, his numbers are constant. He is reasonably active and definitely alert. At fourteen, he is set fair to enjoy further years.


Of Renn, I have few concerns. He has one or two habits which I would like to see ended, but they are neither serious nor indicative of anything worse. He has always been my healthiest cat and, with luck, will continue in fine fettle. He too lost some teeth at his last dental procedure, but retains most of his God-given number. He consumes very little food, yet has never appeared anything but fit and lithe. If I discover his secret, I could make a fortune in the weight-control industry.


My little princess, Cammie, suffered a stroke at the end of May. Its results were severe, but not as bad as they could have been. She lost her sight. Since then, she has shown her determination to live a normal life. She finds her way around the apartment, with many dead ends and bumps on the head, but that doesn’t deter her. She enjoys the scents and sounds of the outdoors, just as she used to enjoy the sights. As well, she has, remarkably, become rather a lap-cat. Spending most of her time in the sitting room now, Cammie will listen for me to sit on the couch; she will then make her way to me and, climbing up her own little staircase, crawl onto my lap for up to half an hour at a time. She purrs and rubs her face against me while I pet her. Five years ago, she barely liked being touched. Now, she is a lap-cat. It may be out of necessity, an insecurity requiring assurance. If so, I am grateful to be able to give it.


Raleigh too has changed. He has been with me now for more than a year, and is still skittish and timid – but less so. The alteration is subtle. For much of the past year, he has run from me when I approach him, whether I am coming to pick him up (for whatever reason) or merely passing by in his general direction. He still does this, but to a much lesser extent. Sitting at his favourite place on the carpetted ledge by the door to the concrete ditch, he formerly darted away when I came to put water or food outside for the neighbourhood cats. Now, Peachy keeps his place, and I sometimes must actually nudge him to get him to move. As well, when he is hungry he will talk, incessantly, to me and come up for petting. I can even lift him – which he normally fears greatly – and when I put him down again, instead of running away, he will come back for more attention. I have grown to know his habits, when he wants food, and when offering him nutrition will be pointless. His meal-times are more erratic than the other beasts’, probably due to how his FIV influences him, but he has gained two pounds in the last eleven months, so he is likely not hurting for food. For all of this, I am thankful.


And lastly, my newest resident, my foster-cat, Neville. I am coming to know him, too, though it is early days yet. Even so, I see improvement in his condition. I feel that the Thin Man has added some padding to the skin and bones that were all he seemed to be some weeks ago. (I haven’t weighed him in a month, so his precise poundage is a mystery to me yet.) His integration with the others has been good: he ignores them and they ignore him; this appears to satisfy him. Other than some hissing and huffing, there has been no hostility. Nevsky plays, preferring the shoe-string, and likes to view the outside from the top of the tall cat-tree in the sitting room. Still confined to the library while I sleep, that will likely change next weekend, and his sequestration in the same room during my absence at work may not continue as long as I initially thought it should. Best of all, his diabetes seems to be in remission (knock on wood). His numbers remain very good, and I have not given him insulin in three weeks. If he still flinches sometimes when I touch him, it is because he fears being poked in the ears with a needle (my means of drawing blood for his glucose testing) and that will, I suspect, fade with the need for testing. His coat, once sloppily shorn of mats, is growing back; it is smooth and soft. Soon, he will be advertised on the PAW Society’s website, and be available for adoption.


And I am thankful for my own good luck. I remain employed and, if my income is not what I want, it is enough for what I need. I have friends, both near and distant; one delivered, unexpectedly, a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner to me yesterday, while another, a fellow blogger, was kind enough to inquire after my health when I hadn’t published anything on the blog for a week. Certainly, life could be better. But why bother with more blessings when one has too many to count as it is?

17 comments:

  1. That's a lot of wonderful things to be thankful for indeed. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These days, I think it is best to concentrate on the good, rather than the bad.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. And you're right - there are a lot of things to be grateful for. We need to remember to be thankful for what we have and not be so concerned with what we don't have, (or what we think we should have). We've got our health, a home, food, and wonderful animals to keep us company. What more could we want? Happy Thanksgiving, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to want a big house, with plenty of land and money. Now, I just want peace, security and contentment. As the years fall away, so does the unimportant.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for reminding us to be grateful for our friends and family. We are glad to hear that everyone at the apartment is doing well at the moment. We hope that you get some time to relax together.

    Julie and Poppy Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your an absolute diamond John..!
    Amazing! Lovely read..got a bit
    tearful at the end..!
    Perhaps l should'nt say it..But!
    I hope Neville does'nt get any
    callers..Your very brave to part
    with him, hope at least, if he does
    go, you can keep us up with his
    welfare..Bless him!x

    And..Happy Thanksgiving to you and
    yours John..All the very best..! 😼 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be very careful in finding Nevsky the right home; if his condition continues as it is, he won't need insulin or even testing, but his new people will have to watch water-consumption, wetting and for all the other signs of a recurrence of his diabetes. Looking for adopters for one's foster-cat is an anxious search.

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely post, a good reminder to focus on what we do have, both tangible and intangible, not on what we don't.

    I'm so glad you had a long weekend that was uneventful, i.e. didn't require a trip to the emerg vet. And I hope I haven't jinxed anything!

    BTW, has Raleigh really been with you for over a year now? Time truly does seem to "fly."

    Take care, have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peachy came to live with me (after his initial stay before going to a short-lived foster-situation) at the end of August, last year. Time not only flies, but it seems to fly faster as I age...

      Delete
  6. That is a lot of thankful, and you remind us to be thankful for what we have and not dwell on what we don't have.
    It is good that Neville is doing so well, but I hope if he is adopted that his new family will be as diligent as you and not undo all your good work with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the right adopters is always a worry when one has a foster-cat. We try our best to screen people but it is always, ultimately, a matter of trust.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the gratitude you expressed for the same things for which I am grateful. That is something I never cease feeling, that gratitude. I enjoyed the updates on each of the cats. I always am very interested in how each is doing and I am happy when you update us Happy belated Thanksgiving John. 🌞🌞
    Have a wonderful and uneventful week..you and they. Katie and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. By next Thanksgiving, I hope you have even more reasons to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are glad you had many things to be thankful for on your day of thanks. We come to know our furs and they us over short or longer times to temperament. We continue to send our support for all you to and to your continued health and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  10. A terrific post, giving us a rundown on all in your household, John! Our Angel is also 15, and she's getting boney, but is still eating, etc. My new worry with her, is to feel confident that she is warm enough in her upstairs aerie. The old Victoria home we have is difficult to heat in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late to this post but did want to add that much of what is good in your is due to your efforts to give your furry friends a good home. Your patience and caring is something, I know if they could express it, they would be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete