Wednesday, November 22, 2023

About Teeth and Foster-cats

The problem with my tooth turned out to be the crown that had been put on it. For some reason, I thought the tooth next to the one that had cracked had been the tooth that had been fitted with a crown. The crown will be repaired as soon as an appointment can be made; it is not what I would consider a major issue. In the meantime, I must be careful of the tooth, but it won’t cause too many problems before it is repaired.


Things are continuing adequately in the Cosy Apartment. A number of people expressed the desire that Brazil should stay with me permanently. The rescue-group is still hoping that the right person will adopt him; I hope for that, as well. I like Brazil and know that he is comfortable with me and his young pals. But the truth is, I cannot keep every cat who fits in. And, in fact, Brazil doesn’t fit in entirely; his effect on Imogen is bad, and that must be taken into account.


I have fostered about thirty cats. That’s a small number compared to many involved in animal-rescue, but the number would have been far smaller if I had adopted every cat whom I liked and would have wanted to keep. I would have had my maximum years ago, and Brazil, the current crop of kittens, Imogen, Percival, Hector, Auric and many others would never have made their appearances on this blog. Allowing those in my care to go on to other, better homes is what permits me to continue to help in rescue. If I weren’t involved in cat-rescue, I certainly wouldn’t have seven beasts living with me, as I fully expect most to be adopted; I consider the current population a temporary measure.


Shimmer will remain available for adoption. His life with me is not ideal; he doesn’t receive enough attention. Once the kittens are adopted, he will suffer for a playmate. Some day, I hope he will have his permanent family, who have plenty of time to give him, and a lasting feline friend. That day may never come. He may stay with me for the rest of his life; that is a necessity with some cats. I think he would be content with that. And if that comes to pass, I think I will be content with it, too.


12 comments:

  1. I'm glad the crown can be fixed and hope it's soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear your tooth problems are relatively minor. And thirty fosters! I know that during the years I've read your blog, I've seen many cats come and go, but it didn't occur to me that it's been THAT many. I hope all the adoptees are having happy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good it's "just" the crown that needs to be replaced; I hope you have coverage, though.

    I didn't realize it had been 30 fosters, either. That's a lot of cats, IMO. I do hope Brazil will find a true forever home elsewhere, one that's ideal for him and any resident cats, though I'm admittedly more hopeful for the kittens. Still, you never know what might happen, and I like to believe that all works out for our Highest Good in the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your tooth issue can be resolved fairly easily.
    I'm sure there is always a twinge when one of the fosters make their way to a new forever home, but I know that they've been given a good start. Brazil definitely sounds like he will need a special family, and I do hope that happens for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear that your dental problems can be easily fixed. Like the other readers, I didn't realize that you had fostered 30 cats. (I started reading your blog while you were fostering Noah.) I noticed that you said fostering allows cats to go on to better homes. I have to think about that... I'm not sure a cat could find a better home than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only finding Brazil a furever home was as easy as a new tooth crown. Since you have adopted Imogen, of course her future must be the big concern and if Brazil is too much of a strain, I hope he finds a good loving home and soon while he is young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That said it Lynn, every word, just as I came back to do. Our minds clicked along like two clocks side by side.

      Delete
  7. Those who choose to foster animals such as cat and dogs are special loving and caring people in general, good your tooth problem was an easy fix, finding the right family for a pet not so easy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad your tooth can be fixed relatively easily. I hope a suitable home comes along for Brazil preferably to be adopted with one of the other fosters, maybe Aurora.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for an easy(hopefully) fix for the tooth.
    Fingers crossed for Brazil to het a good home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly, fostering is for angels on Earth.

    ReplyDelete