Saturday, November 11, 2023

Of Those Who Have Fallen

As regular readers may know, I don’t usually publish anything on this blog that isn’t cat-related. The big holidays – Christmas and Easter – are exceptions, as is New Year’s, as that is a significant change chronologically, if in no other way. But I feel I should acknowledge Remembrance Day, as well.

As a reader of military history, especially those histories that are very detailed or which are memoirs, I tend to think a great deal about the efforts and sacrifices of those who went to war. Those who do so, go for a great many reasons, of course; not all of them are, it must be admitted, altruistic. Indeed, many regulars join up to learn a trade or simply to have a good job; this was often the case in the old days, when poverty was the only other option. No doubt they, like every other sane person, hoped that they would never have to put their training to practical use.

There were as many motives for going into combat, of course, as there were men in uniform. I recently watched a film called Appointment in London, in which the principal character, when asked why he wanted to fulfill a 90-mission ambition with Bomber Command, stated that he was afraid others would think him fearful if he didn’t. Then he added that that was ‘the usual’ thing that is said. It was probably true in many cases. He then stated that he was doing it because he’d told so many people he would that he couldn’t back out. That was probably true in many cases, as well.

From what I’ve read, soldiers, sailors and airmen go into battle for their beliefs, their regiments, their comrades, their countries, their families, and every other reason under the sun and stars. Some go because it’s easier than not going.

Yet what I find astounding, what I find moving, is that when it came down to it, almost every one of them went forward into mortal danger of their own accord. If the majority had decided not to, there would have been little those in authority could have done about it, as has been shown at some points in history. But these men made a conscious decision to put one foot in front of another and step into what may have been their final minutes.

Was it bravery, was it foolishness, was it vainglory? It doesn’t matter. They did it, and for many it was the last thing they did. And because they did it, I can agree or disagree with anyone or everyone without fear of reprisal. I can worship as I like or not at all. I can protest peacefully and I can tell those in power I dislike them and their ways. I can read what I want, go where I want. Whether or not I manifest my conscience is a matter of my own trepidation or concern, not of the dictates of arbitrary authority.

For this freedom, I thank all of them, the brave and the frightened, the lazy and the dutiful, the honest men and the connivers, the family men and the loners, those with everything ahead of them and those with nothing to lose. Because of them, I sleep in peace.

15 comments:

  1. We need to remember veterans so many gave their lives for causes they didn't understand in far too many wars

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your tribute to our veterans. My father served in World War 2 and I had many friends who served in Viet Nam. We thank them for their service and sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a nice post. All of our Veterans deserve no less than the very best, always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, John. My immediate family was fortunate as my two uncles who served in WWII came home, not entirely unscathed, but both survived.
    My forays into the history of extended family, though shows life was not so kind. One cousin signed up for WWI when he was a mere boy of 15. He died less than a year later at the Battle of the Somme, and his father, also serving, perished a mere 8 months earlier. I think of Lee (the son) on this day as he was only 10 years older than my father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that...! ❤️๐Ÿ™❤️๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very touching post. My father served in the RAF in the Second World War, my grandfather was a foot soldier in the trenches during the First World War. Both came home but my grandfather never spoke of the horrors he saw or maybe endured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written tribute, John. I am mindful of not just the men, but the women and the animals too, who put themselves on the line and sacrificed themselves. That includes those who perished, and those who have returned from various wars and occupations with terrible injuries, physical and/or mental. Little is said about that, it seems. The walking wounded. All have sacrificed so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family all served in both World Wars. Your tribute was much appreciated by me as I read it. It applies to all of us in respect and tribute to our Veterans. The last paragraph you wrote was truely written and expresses the whole of the men and women who fought. You wrote: "The brave and the frightened, the lazy and the dutiful, the honest men and the connivers, the family men and the loners, those with everything ahead of them and those with nothing to lose. Because of them, I sleep in peace"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this moving post. We would be nothing today with out our veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well said, as usual. I had no veterans among my relatives, but I've always been grateful for the fact that when my family had to flee the Soviets, they had a free America to escape to.

    On a generally-related note, have you ever read "Unknown Soldiers" by Neil Hanson? It tells the personal stories of three soldiers--German, Russian, and American--who went MIA during WWI. I found the book to be a very moving look at the horrors of the Great War.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMen...ansd thank you, We will not foprghet.

    BTW, I wore a poppy all day...I find it kind of sad that not many peeps here (Michigan),know what that means...sigh...(Though many DO feel as you do for those brave ones.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think wearing a poppy was common outside the British Commonwealth. Thank you for wearing one; I feel it is a good symbol of fellowship with the dead, the survivors and their loved ones.

      Delete
  12. Sorry for all those typos at the start of my comment, wow!

    Sometimes peeps ask me why I am wearing that, and they then learn something new, at least to them. Visible symbols do speak volumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do. (As for typos, I sometimes type so fast that the result is gibberish; recently I typed a five-letter word and all but four of the letters were wrong...)

      Delete