Saturday, November 25, 2023

The End of a (Minor) Era

I at last had to say ‘good-bye’ to a familiar member of the household: the elongated ottoman.

I had bought it second-hand, along with its matching loveseat, about thirteen years ago, when I moved into my house. It came to the apartment with me when I moved, and in both locations has provided much comfort to cats and to me, especially while I watched my Saturday night movie. Later, when Minuet came and I brought in a cat-tree for her, there was insufficient room for the ottoman in the library, and it moved out to the sitting room.

Alas, it suffered damage over the years, principally because cats would, in jumping up on it, use their claws in the fabric-covering to gain purchase. The resulting tears and rents only grew with time. They were holding their own until the kittens arrived. Their curiosity proved the ottoman’s undoing, as they continued to pull the stuffing out. Recently, I have been finding it on the floor of the sitting room and farther afield. As well, it can be cleaned only so often before the effects of innumerable cat-barfs could no longer be erased. It was time for the ottoman to go.

The sitting room feels larger now, and rather empty. The kittens quickly used the space for chasing each other, which nonetheless didn’t preclude them running into various objects during their games. I and the other oldsters here will miss the furnishing more than they. It had served us well.

15 comments:

  1. It lived a life of service for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it was attacked by a knife wielding grandson on no that is something that happens in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it had a dignified exit:)

    I had to do that with some furnishings here...obviously the furniture makers don't have cats...or dogs that think they need to dig holes in. the upholstery...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, all things come to a end, eventually. It definitely served you and the cats well! Will you look for another? I use an upholstered storage ottoman for a coffee table, as in a small space, items that do double duty are a necessity. I used to keep the cats wands and other cat stuff in mine,very handy to have it all within easy reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that this one wasn't used for storage. It seemed common sense to me; a good opportunity. I don't think I will find another; even if it is small, it uses up room that I need more of.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering about that. Kim's use of the storage ottoman is something I have done on occasion.

      Delete
  5. A life well served; kudos, old ottoman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas poor ottoman, I knew it well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HeHe! Bless! If l lived next door John...I would
    have popped round and stitched it up for you,,,! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looked well loved. I laughed at Roberta's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainly changes the Dynamics of your sitting room. But not the energy of your kitties. I hope you're sofa is safe from claws. My recliner is covered in clear tape and somehow there is a cat here who insisting putting her toenails in other parts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes. Are you sure one of the kittens isn't Jack the Ripper?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It served you and the cats well. My two cheapo ottomans from Walmart are badly stained and no amount of cleaning products has helped. But I'm holding onto them for now, with the thought I can use material to re-cover the lids. We'll see if that ever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ottoman looks like it served you well.

    ReplyDelete