Today, Brazil will go to the veterinary hospital for his dental surgery. He may need a few teeth extracted, and he definitely needs a cleaning.
What a change from the first time I had to take him to the hospital. I recall following him about the apartment; not chasing him, but trying to corner him, or wear him down. It took me twenty minutes before he went to ground in a litter-box. Now, he knows I want to capture him for some nefarious purpose, but it takes only a half-minute or so before he stops and resigns himself to his fate.
Even giving him medicine is easy. The rescue-group’s doctor prescribes a mild sedative for many cats going into surgery. Shimmer had to have a dose last night and another this morning. I don’t think it is needed in many cases, but it probably wouldn’t hurt Brazil to have a little artificial calm; he is a very nervous and - among strangers - stressful cat. Unlike most of my beasts, he not only took the liquid medicine quietly, he didn’t leap out of my hands afterward in disgust at the crap he had to swallow. He has come a long way.
At his age, I don’t expect any trouble from the surgery, and this will make him feel better and keep his mouth in good shape for years. My boy will be back home late this afternoon.

What a good boy! May the dental work go well.
ReplyDeleteHope it all goes well for Brazil! You sure did have an easy time getting him ready.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to Brazil. I hope everything goes smoothly, without too many extractions. Please update us tomorrow if you can!
ReplyDeleteBrazil...I'm going to be thinking of you till I hear all is well and you are home.
ReplyDeleteI hope all went well with the dental.
ReplyDeletePraying it all goes well and he's home feeling better in no time.
ReplyDeleteI hope all went well for Brazil.
ReplyDeleteI hope Brazil's dental went well. Please keep us posted.
ReplyDelete