Yesterday’s dental appointment for Brazil resulted in seven of his teeth being removed. This was certainly more than I expected. In fact, since he is only three and a half years old, I didn’t think that he would need any extractions. Some teeth were bad, others were ‘mobile’, by which is meant ‘loose’, the kind of looseness, I imagine, that most humans recall from their childhood, wiggling a tooth until it at last came out. In a cat’s mouth, however, I suspect that it could lead not just to further trouble, but to a reluctance to eat. In any case, they were a problem and had to go. With teeth that unwholesome at such a young age, the doctor figures it is a matter of genetics. It may presage further difficulties in the future.
But for now, and probably for some years, Brazil will feel better. He was of course out of sorts yesterday, but he ate some of his currently favourite soft-food, groomed himself to remove the hospital smell, and spent some time under the bed. The other cats didn’t appear to mind any odd aroma about him, and Moxy, kind-hearted fellow that he is, offered to clean Shimmer’s fur for him, but he wasn’t in the mood for help.
Brazil will receive anti-inflammatory/pain medicine for four days. He must have been in some discomfort for a while, and I hope its removal will bring my orange boy positive changes.

Thank you for the update. He should heal quickly and yes, feel so much better in a few days. Lots of kitty kisses to him!
ReplyDeletePoor baby, that is a lot at one time but he sure will feel better once the healing is done.
ReplyDeleteI know both of you are glad this is over. He must have had so much pain before the teeth came out. He'll feel so much better and soon. Lots of purrs and pets to him.
ReplyDeletethat iz a lot oh teeth buddy, but, better ta catch it now
ReplyDeletesew ewe due knot haz trubullz down de road….with all
thoz teeth missin, N ewe puttin em under yur pillow, ya
shuld net bout $7,895.24 frum de 🦷 tooth fairie 😸‼️🧡💛🤎
Brazil, here's hoping you feel much better!
ReplyDeletePaws together for Henry; he's got a dental scheduled for this coming Monday.
Brazil...I waited and read your update! That is quite a few teefs you lost but I hope so much that you heal quickly and feel good!!!
ReplyDeletePoor Brazil! Feel better soon, Sweetheart.
ReplyDeletePoor Brazil, that is a lot of teeth to lose. If you email me at pilch92@aol.com the Tooth Fairy will send a gift.
ReplyDeleteMouth pain is awful, I'm glad he will be more comfortable now.
ReplyDeleteI don't know whether it's true or not, but our last vet said orangies are prone to teeth issues. Giovanni is 2.5 years old and needs to have his first cleaning within the next year (but none need extracting).
ReplyDeleteGlad that it all went well, and I hope he is feeling better now!
I'd heard that about ginger cats, too.
DeleteSeven? Yikes! I hope he's feeling much better by now.
ReplyDeleteOh, dear, poor fella.Feel better, soon, Brazil!
ReplyDelete