Wednesday, October 1, 2025

His Shimmering Heart

One might be excused for thinking I have no other cats living with me than Neville, Indigo and Valkyrie, for the number of articles I write about some of the others. What about Brazil? some might ask.


Brazil still wets outside the litter-box from time to time, sometimes on the bed, sometimes on the armchair in the bedroom. He then started it on the couch in the library. The rescue-group - Brazil is still available for adoption - thought he should have a urinalysis. I didn’t think that his problem was physical - at least not in terms of his urinary tract - but its would do him no harm, other than some stress.


The urinalysis came back showing no big problems, though Shimmer has some signs that his kidneys may cause trouble in the future. But what was found during his examination was that he needs a dental procedure. He has bad gingivitis, and may require a tooth removed. There is the chance that these troubles may be causing enough distress to make him wet inappropriately. He will be, hopefully, going for surgery in a couple of weeks.


But wait; that’s not all. Brazil also has a heart murmur. A test has been conducted - the results will be known today - to see what the risks will be for him if he has to undergo surgery. Likely constant pain from a bad mouth or a perilous operation: these are not good choices for him, so I am of course hoping for satisfactory findings from his heart test.


This is not the way my orange fellow would have wanted to be seen in the blog, and he will probably appear under similar conditions in the next little while. Certainly, this will further affect his chances of being adopted, which, considering his retiring nature among strangers and a new environment, have not been good, anyway. But, with luck, his physical condition will improve, and that will positively affect his emotional state. Whether with me or with others, Shimmer’s happiness is the goal.


13 comments:

  1. Well, that's obviously not the update on him we wanted to hear. I hope that the test results are positive, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brazil, if he needs dental I hope his heart murmur will not stop it from happening. I've missed seeing him, but I am sorry to see why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dood…sorree buddy…heerz hopin all thingz pawzitive R headed yur way, with blezzingz frum R pal, az all wayz ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny that I have thought of him fairly often these past several weeks. And here you speak f him. His wetting and his health. Don't get really sick Brazil. I don't want to worry about you too. XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, the Universe really needs to give you all a break. I hope Brazil's dental will go well and that the heart murmur turns out to be much ado about nothing, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending Brazil lots of love and purrayers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about Brazil. I've had several cats with heart murmurs throughout the years, (my current cat, Joey has one), and they've all done well on Atenolol. Do you know what grade the murmur is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor guy. I hope he can get his dental. My Brody has a heart problem, but got approved for a dental which he is having on the 15th. There are some safe anesthesia's for cats with heart trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers he can have the tooth extracted and all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Brazil, and poor you. It seems that something always crops up when things are going better. I hope the dental goes well, and that the heart murmur is nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete