Tuesday, October 7, 2025

Indigo Wins


Indigo and I went to the veterinary hospital again this afternoon to see if she had conquered the urinary infection. She had!


The sample used for the latest urinalysis was unusually obtained. I put Indie in the bathroom when dinner was served. It was rather too soon for her to be so collected, but if I didn’t do it when she came out to eat, I probably would have had quite an ordeal, as lately she has been going straight under the bed following her meals. This was to avoid the anti-biotics I have been giving her. (I didn’t miss a dose, though: I had been dosing her immediately before she ate. Despite this, she always showed up for a meal, so I was able to keep on schedule.)


Because she was in the bathroom too long, or because of stress, Indigo wet in the bathtub. I applaud her choice of improvised litter-box (she wasn’t given one as I wanted to encourage her to hold it until the hospital) but it nonetheless emptied the bladder that needed to be sampled. Fortunately, the urine pooled just in front of the drain; (it’s an old steel tub, and has a bit of a dip there) and I was able to siphon up a small syringe-worth. (I keep numerous syringes of different calibres on hand, for medicine, force-feeding, etc.) This I took with me to the veterinary hospital.


I wasn’t sure if they could use it, but they did. The sample was not contaminated by where it was found, and all signs of infection had disappeared. Indie was not poked or punctured; indeed, as it turned out, she need not have even come with me.


Now, we are back in the Cosy Cabin, Indigo looking forward no doubt to snack-time, as she wasn’t in the mood to eat much of her dinner. Though I don’t have a trout for her as a reward for doing so well, as the Tabbies suggested, she will receive some tuna-water from a tin I’ll be opening later…

12 comments:

  1. Hooray for Indigo! Beating an infection can be a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news! And I'm sure Indigo is happy - Not only is she feeling better, she no longer has to take the antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very good news, and now you both will feel happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is terrific news! I'm glad the infection is gone and happy that she didn't even have to go to the clinic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good news that the infection is over. And that was very cooperative of Indigo to give you a clean sample that was easy to get to. Certainly beats having them stick the hypodermic needle right into the bladder. Precious will tell you that just sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent news and a perfect way to solve the problem...I will remember it for Katie if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news about Indigo, and what a inventive way to get the results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. pawz UP two ewe indie…buzzed happee for ewe that inn fectshunz gone and hope it doez knot come bak ‼️🦋🖤🤍🤍🖤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oscar gave a sample one afternoon by peeing on my tee shirt as I got him out f the carrier. The tech wrung it out and got a usable sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That beats my method! I'll have to remember it, if the occasion arises.

      Delete
  10. Excellent! She must be feeling SO much better now.

    ReplyDelete