Today is Thanksgiving Day. I try every day to be grateful for what I have and have had, but today is when we acknowledge our gratitude more explicitly.
I am grateful for many things: my life at the Cosy Cabin, the shelter and warmth it gives me; my employment, the funds it gives me to survive; my friends, who have helped me more than I have been able to help myself, I think.
I am grateful for my last minute capture of Sable, on the Thanksgiving weekend last year. Yes, Sabe has been with me a year now. I worried that I was doing the wrong thing by bringing her inside. But she has progressed faster and better than I had hoped, thanks in part to her friendship with Moxy. She still won’t let me touch her, but I can come closer than ever now, and she sleeps on the bed, not even jumping off when I move or get up in the night.
I am certain that she is hard of hearing. She can hear me speak at almost any distance, but my approach must be seen to be believed. At her age - at least twelve, probably thirteen - she may not have been able to stand many more winters outside, and she may not have had an assured source of food after I had moved.
So I am grateful for having caught Sable. She may have regrets, but I think she also enjoys, at least in part, being an insider cat. Warmth at night, comfort in cold weather, plenty of food, clean water, friendship and toys to play with do compensate somewhat, I think.
This year, this is the face of my gratitude.


Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of your cats, John.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving Day John. I enjoyed reading the things that you are grateful for. I thin I may do the same either on Thanksgiving Day for us, or on the weekly blog hop. It's always joyful to read or hear people being grateful. So many don't seem aware of all they have.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving, and Sable is enjoying her inside life now, but she cannot show it yet.
ReplyDeleteThe face(es) of gratitude is (are) precious. Happy Thanksgiving, John, to you all.
ReplyDeleteWhat better reason to celebrate Thanksgiving than to see Sable content with her new inside surroundings. And her friendship with Moxy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and many purrs and pets for the cats.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you rescued her. Happy Thanksgiving !
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful story for Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving, from a fellow Canadian...(exported to Michigan...)
Happy Thanksgiving, John! I am glad you were able to rescue Sable. She may not fully realise it yet, but she has a much better and safer life now. It is good to see her and Moxy together.
ReplyDeleteA happy (albeit somewhat late) Thanksgiving to you and the cats. I'm amazed to hear that Sable has been indoors for a year now. She may not want to tell you so, but I'm sure she's feeling thankful, too.
ReplyDeletehappee all ewe can eat pie day two everee one…all oh uz heer in TT iz thanx full for yur friend ship….we can say de mafia 😸😸😸bringed uz clozer two gether…dad noez what thiz meenz 😸🥧🍩🍻
ReplyDeleteAnd the one responsible had a big feast in Samarra over the weekend...
Delete