Friday, October 3, 2025

Our House

I consider myself quite fortunate in having so many cats who tolerate each other. Many people with eight cats would find their households even more chaotic than mine. But most of my beasts have reached a modus vivendi with each other. Three are even good friends - ‘the gang’ of Moxy, Valkyrie and Brazil - while Sable finds in Moxy her boon companion. And the Mixer doesn’t seem to strike a bad chord with anyone. The only sour notes are Indigo’s animosity for most of the others - the Mixer and Sabe excluded - Imogen and Brazil’s periodic disputes, and Millie’s dislike of her roommates, though she now appears to accept Neville. And even with the few problem relationships, I can leave all but Millie in the same open space together, and be reasonably assured of an absence of blood spatters when I come home.


While the situation is not quite like the line from the song “Our House” (not coincidentally by the group Madness) - “Our house, it has a crowd. There’s always something happening and it’s usually quite loud” - it can approach that condition at times. And yet, it is rarely hazardous, and only now and then does it drive a human to distraction.


I consider myself quite fortunate.


10 comments:

  1. You are indeed fortunate to have so many wonderful cats, and the cats are fortunate too - They have you caring for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be your calm attitude, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is wonderful, we have nine and they all get along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky. Right now I am too with 12 and only Rudy can't be with some of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that most of your gang get along, a peaceful household must make it more enjoyable when you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just have to think about humans in this same setting. You get a crowd of humans together and believe me not all of them get along. I'd say you have a few there the Cosy Cabin they get along quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is indeed your attitude that sets the tone for the household. I have seldom if ever known anyone who can handle all that you do with such a calming manner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully, it will stay more like the other "Our House" song, which is "a very very very fine house."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song's cosier, but the one by Madness is closer to my reality...

      Delete
  9. You are fortunate that they all get on well, or in Millie's case, tolerate each other. Through the years we have had varying amount of cats, from 8 to 12 at one time and thankfully they all got on together.
    There used to be a Naval estate at the top of the village, 3 fields from us. Invariably as the sailors went to different places, they would leave their pets to fend for themselves. That is where most of our cats arrived from knowing we would take them in.

    ReplyDelete