Tuesday, October 28, 2025

Standing Firm

Periodically, Neville needs his bum cleaned. He doesn’t require it as often as he has in the recent past, thanks, I believe, to the better management of his diabetes giving his rear end a bit more strength: he is not sitting or falling into debris in the litter-box as much. When I do clean him, I take him to the Treatment Room (the bathroom) and, on a soaker pad, go to work with washcloth, comb and scissors. It not infrequently takes fifteen or twenty minutes. Afterwards, I give him a reward for his good behaviour (more wished for than realised sometimes) in the form of Temptation treats.


Yesterday, I carried him to the Treatment Room to find that my initial examination was misleading, and he required only a few seconds’ worth of repair. Yet he still demanded a reward for his perseverance. I was firm, since he had needed almost no work, and it was hardly the usual inconvenience for him. He too stood his ground and made croaking sounds. I said, “No!”


At last, we compromised and I gave him treats. But only three or four.


13 comments:

  1. And rightly so! I'm glad Neville stood his ground on this, I can't even believe you would think "no", let alone say it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he deserved the treats anyway. I'm glad you struck a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you relented and let him have a few more

    ReplyDelete
  4. dood…afturr all that dad shulda seered ewe a reel fizh on de grill πŸ˜ΈπŸ™€‼️πŸŸπŸŸπŸ§‘πŸ€ŽπŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like he landed the big fish, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would want treats after a butt inspection too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps a compromise is in order. The shorter the treatment, the fewer the treats, the longer the treatment, the more he gets. You two would have to negotiate the final details, but I'm sure it could work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was cute, but in the end Neville won out!! MOL!

    ReplyDelete