Consciousness: The vegetables are in a pot with some water. The pot is on the stove and the element beneath it is heating the water.
Sub-conscious: I sense the water is boiling under the pot’s lid.
Consciousness: We don’t want it to boil. Boiled water draws out the vegetables’ nutrients. We want it the water hot, and the vegetables to simmer. I will lift the lid and see if the water is boiling.
[Sub-conscious throws the lid violently down. It clatters on the stove-top, startling and frightening the cats, some of whom run.]
Consciousness (astounded): Why the heck did you do that??
Sub-conscious (loudly): The lid was searingly hot from being on the pot full of boiling water. We almost were burned.
Consciousness (incredulous): The lid is not searingly hot. It’s merely warm. See? I can lift it without pain.
Sub-conscious (with less conviction): It was searingly hot.
Consciousness: You thought it was because you thought the water was boiling. You were mistaken. If you had let me lift the lid first, we would have seen that all was well.
Sub-conscious: The water might have been boiling.
Consciousness: It wasn’t. You can’t simply jump to conclusions like that.
Sub-conscious: It’s what I do.
Consciousness: Then tell me, and I will decide what to do about them.
Sub-conscious: All right. Do those vegetables look right to you? They may’ve gone bad.
Consciousness: Shut up.

Anyone remember "Spocks Brain"?
ReplyDeleteBrain. Brain. What is brain?
😆😆😆
I remember. Sometimes, fleetingly, I feel like my brain has been removed. Those moments seem to be getting longer.
DeleteOh John. Now you got me laughing!
DeleteCooking can be such fun. Hope you finally got to eat the meal.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading about your adventures in cooking, I was quickly reminded of why the only thing I make are reservations!
ReplyDeleteGood one. And this adventure involved only the heating on the stove...
DeleteWould love to have had a photo of your face, Dr. John, while this convo was going on!
ReplyDeleteI think I can see in my own minds eye the face you had on during that conversation.
DeleteYou would do Spock proud.
DeleteThis just proves what I've always said: Vegetables are dangerous. Your sub-conscious was longing for a nice cheese sandwich instead.
ReplyDeleteOh, dear, the push and pull of the things in the mind...
ReplyDeleteSub-conscious wins, always, unfortunately, because it reacts first.
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of the Seinfeld bit about morning self and night self. Every night, night self talks you into staying up later than you should, and morning self feels awful and has a lousy start because of it, but can't do anything to get night self back!