Sunday, August 12, 2018

Neglected Treasures



I have cat-toys all over the apartment, littering the floors, where I step on them at least seven times a day, especially the milk-jug rings. I suspect them of actually moving at the last second to a spot under my feet. For the most part, these toys are ignored. I should pack them up and put them away.

But every now and then, one which has been neglected is re-used. I can never determine which it will be, or when it will happen. Yesterday, after months of ignorance, the last remaining “tackle-fish” enjoyed a brief renaissance. Tucker rubbed his face against it for a couple of minutes, and then snoozed with it.

How can I pack it away? How can I throw out any toy, or give any away, when it may be used at any moment, after an age of disregard? So the toys will continue to litter my apartment floor, causing me to mis-step every couple of paces, walking like Walter Brennan in To Have and Have Not. They are like that shirt that was too horrendous to wear even in the 1970s, that may be needed for a costume party, or the textbook on Esperanto that you won’t throw out because one day, in a burst of internationalism, you may actually want to learn that language. I sometimes wonder if hoarders don’t have a pathological compulsion to retain things, they just have cats.

9 comments:

  1. This made me smile, who can say why a long-ignored toy suddenly finds new favour?

    I keep a large container with cat toys and loose catnip in it, and once in a while I give it a good shake and trade out toys. It usually generates very short-lived interest. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I have a couple of containers around the house that are meant to contain the cat toys, but young Eli is quite happy to empty them on behalf of the cats. I did find a toy in the basement laundry room today...I don't know who brought it there, Sheldon or Eli?

    As long as one isn't hoarding cats...that can turn into something nasty.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is filled with cat toys too. Occasionally I'll wash some and place them in a container of catnip so they can be rotated. This also gives me a chance to see which toys need to be thrown away. Willow brings me a toy daily, and Danni takes a toy with her when she goes to bed, but sometimes the best toy is a crumpled up piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have 3 cat toys for miss Poppy - her toy mousie that sometimes she snuggles with, a feather and her best toy is actually a shoelace. Oh and a bird wand toy. I don't think they are bothered though, I think the toys make us feel better and truly most cats can't be bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric and Flynn had a big box of toys, Eric only liked (loved) his Scruffy Rat but Flynn had his favourites which I kept in two containers of nip. I rotated them every week and it kept him very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric and his Scruffy Rat. I loved reading about him and his beloved toy.

      Delete
  6. That is a good point about hoarders:) I get rid if my stuff, but never the cats' stuff unless it is really damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dood !!!!! tackle fish....how could dad even THINK bout diz pozin
    oh him...ore puttin him a way.....thiz wood be like....well, like de WERST kinda crime against fish in all oh earthz hiss tree....frank lee...we think dad kneadz ta go out N buy MOR tackle fish....may bee 75 for starterz ~~~~~~~~ ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have three "tackle-fish", but someone, several years ago, wet on several toys in a box, and the current "tackle-fish" is the lone survivor. As to who it was... Well, let's just say a cat in his line of work would be no stranger to the witness re-location programme...

      Delete