Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sable and Sablette Return



It’s been more than a month since I saw them together. I had observed one of them, quite alone, a few weeks ago, and had worried that something had happened to her sibling. But tonight Sable and Sablette returned together to the food-bowl I place for the outsider-cats.

To be precise, the all-black sisters returned to where the food-bowl usually is. I had been taking it in early recently because no one had been visiting it. Even Au Lait (a.k.a. Blue), who has been by a few times, seemed interested only in deep draughts from the water-bowl. Tonight, I had brought in the food-bowl and was having some tea when I heard a cat talking outside. The voice sounded familiar and I hurried – as slowly as I could – to the door to my concrete ditch.


I turned on the outside light, and there they were, both of them. I hurried – much more swiftly this time – to the bowl, filled it with some of the Orijen that my beasts eat – it is high-grade hard-food, and generally I can’t afford to give it to outsider-cats, but I didn’t want the girls to go away in the meantime – and hastened outside, by the building’s back door. Sable and Sablette moved away, but didn’t go far, as I shook the kernels in their bowl. I placed it in the usual spot, and one of them – I like to imagine it was Sable – started chattering; the sisters were eating before I returned inside.

The interesting thing is that, as I viewed them through the glass door, I saw them rub up against each other, and curl their tails around one another’s. They talked and stretched and arched their backs. I received the impression that they were in a good mood. I don’t where they have been, but I’m going to pretend that they are pleased to be back.

8 comments:

  1. OH they ARE! I wonder if they were perhaps in a place hard to get out of? But no matter! They are there now and *I* am glad right here where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they were in a good mood too! I'm glad they've returned, seemingly fine. I wonder where they've been; perhaps they have a wide-ranging territory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear they're OK. I just wish they could tell you where they've been all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What good news to hear Sable and Sablette have returned. I was concerned about them. So many unfortunate things can happen to cats who live on the street. But they are OK, and that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, being an outside cat can be dangerous, unless they are old hands at it, and know when/where to hide, and when/where to score food! I'm glad they came to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad they have returned. They do sound like they were happy to be back, although it is not surprising when they were brought Orijen on demand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. boomer used to disappear for weeks and mom would think for sure he'd left the neighborhood or was taken in by someone ~~~~ usually when my mom least expected him; there he'd be....or dude would let her know he was back { dude was mom's cat prior to coming to live with me because of boomer } ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news, it would seem they are both healthy and have clearly figured out where to find a good meal.

    ReplyDelete