Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Raleigh Up Close




Meet Raleigh – up close this time. I didn’t think I’d catch him. I used sardines as bait, and they must have been irresistible. As well, the man who feeds the feral colony delayed dinner-time for everyone, and I suspect hunger overcame caution.

I am relieved to report that Raleigh doesn’t look as bad near at hand than he did farther away. He is still rough, his coat is coarse. He may not be as old as I had estimated, and the runny eye looks to be the sort that is chronic with feline herpes; my Josie has the same thing: it runs in thick, sometimes dark goop and can stain the fur about the eyes.

He is polydactyl. As you can see, his feet are as big as scones.



My guest is currently in the bathroom. After an initial interest, which included hissing from some, my beasts have dismissed the newcomer behind the closed door. Clearly, if he were of any interest, he would be out and trying to meet the residents.

Raliegh will spend the night where he is, in his cage, and go to the veterinary hospital first thing in the morning for his surgery. I will collect him after work tomorrow. He is quite calm, and does not look even wary, just puzzled and sad. He ate the sardines that I had placed for him; perhaps he finished off his meal before he realised the door had closed on him. There are bits of fur stuck on the cage’s interior, so he probably panicked at first. But he seems to be a fatalist, waiting for whatever those in power will do to him.

Fortunately, our plans are benign. There are other cats in the colony who keep their distance because of Raleigh and another male. Perhaps he will feel less combative after his neutering. I suspect he will feel better over-all. He just doesn’t know it yet.

23 comments:

  1. I am someone who become involved with my feelings of love for these feral cats that I tend to be too emotional. I would not be a good person to do this. I would be in tears all the time. What a mushy person I can be. SO grateful you were able to get him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to have caught him - shocked and very pleased.

      Delete
  2. I’m thrilled to hear you were able to catch Raleigh so he can be taken to the vet for care. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a wonderful moment, seeing him in that trap.

      Delete
  3. What great news to hear that you've caught Raliegh. I wonder if he is truly feral since he seems to be somewhat calm. It sounds like he may have been someone's pet at one time. It will be interesting to see what the vet thinks about this. Hopefully, he'll do well during his visit to the clinic. Your photo of the sunset is just lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to touch his cheek through the cage's wire this morning. I don't think he is feral; just a very wary, disappointed cat who was abandoned. We will see tonight when I have more time to observe him.

      Delete
  4. I'm also thrilled you were able to catch him! He looks pretty rough in that first photo in particular. I presume that anything that needs to be done (mats shaved, whatever) will be taken care of. Fingers crossed that all goes well for him, and all my love to him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is being seen to, and is recovering now. I will describe the sequel later but I can tell you that his teeth, about which I was worried, are in decent shape.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's good news! He will feel much better for this.

    And, wow, those paws...Raleigh could play tennis without having to use a racket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOO HOO, you caught him! High Five!
    Sardines...way to go...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you caught him! My heart goes out to him and wish this guy all the best. If only every animal could have a good and safe home! Thank you John for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good feeling when I saw him in the trap. Thank you for all your support.

      Delete
  8. dood....st francis' blessings two ewe....we wish ewe nothin but de veree best two day N may bee...just purrhapz may bee....de vet will say; ya noe; thiz dood could go ta foster inn sted oh bak on de streetz !!!!!

    J; I am a firm believer in fate so to speak; this was meant to be and I am glad he's going in for a check and blessings to you for caring ~~~~~~~ L ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saint Francis must have been listening to you guys; I'll write more about it later, but I can tell you that Raleigh will be going to a foster-home. It will have other cats, but he will safe and comfy.

      Delete
    2. WOW! That's amazing (and amazingly quick) news. That's so wonderful; I hope the rest of Raleigh's life will now be a secure and happy one.

      Delete
    3. You made my day, John! (Maybe even my year!!) I can't wait to hear about Raleigh's new home. God Bless You!

      Delete
    4. Indeed...you made MY day too. I can't stress enough how grateful I am to you for caring and loving our innocents out there who are trying to survive, God's blessings to you always. Your heart is good.

      Delete
  9. So glad you caught him, I hope surgery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am still so happy that you caught him and that the Vet has said that a foster family was found.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such good news! I have been away for 5 days and was catching up with reading your oldest post first. That means it was only a few minutes ago that I was hoping you would be able to trap Raleigh, and now I see it was a success. I am really happy for him and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful news! I'm looking forward to reading the next post.

    ReplyDelete