Saturday, June 15, 2019

His Name was Parker



The casket I chose for Parker’s ashes is a simple one. The selection was not large, and I didn’t want anything rococo. There is meant to be a photograph inserted; instead I put his name in the space, the label’s hue being taken from his smooth and soft coat.


Parker’s remains came home last week, but I wished to find the right picture frame for his memorial photograph before setting out the casket. (I noted that I wrote almost exactly the same thing after Tungsten’s death.) I found it late this week and finished printing out and inserting Puck’s picture.


I still find myself suddenly remembering that I had not prepared the orange-boy’s insulin syringe, or wondering where my sixth cat is when I count fuzzy heads before leaving for work. I suppose these habits will fade.

What won’t fade are my memories of this marvelous little fellow. I recall that Tungsten had a minor temporomandibular joint disorder, which would make her jaw click when she yawned. A sound like that even today makes me think of the tiny terror. So it is with certain sounds or actions with regard to Parker. He could leave a bit of a mess when he ate, especially latterly, so I would use old pieces of paper as place-mats. When I would take one from where I kept it on top of the refrigerator, he knew that I was about to serve his meal. The sound of a single sheet of paper being ruffled in that way will, I think, always bring my sturdy-boy to mind.

I am grateful and pleased that so many people followed Parker’s adventures, through good and bad, especially through those four short months subsequent to his diagnosis of cancer. He refused to live his life differently than he had, enjoying what he could, right up to his last day. He is gone now, yet still with me, as I am, I hope, still with him. As Dr Bellen said, “I will always be with you.”

His name was Parker. He was my friend, and I will remember him.


22 comments:

  1. I admire the way you can find a peace with the wonderful memories of your dear boy, I so wish I could with my Abby. But your Parker will be remembered and that is important. He taught us all valuable lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard when they leave us, and how they affect us is different with everyone. You will see Abby again.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely little memorial to all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not very long ago, I had four cats; that number is now halved. It’s the mealtimes that get to me the most. Every time I get only two cat dishes ready instead of the usual four, it makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had mentioned a little while ago that you were facing an imminent loss. I hope that that has not come to pass and, indeed, will not for a long time yet.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully no, it hasn’t. Indeed, at the moment I’m feeling cautiously optimistic it won’t happen for a while yet. Not for some years, I hope.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post and what a lovely memorial to your 3 angel cats. It's always hard when we lose one of our pets, but their memories always remain with us. But truthfully, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. My Cody, who was very special to me, died about 20 years ago, and to this day, whenever I see a gray tabby Maine Coon, I feel his loss. But I guess the important thing is that we remember the time our cats were with us, and the love we shared with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What loving words for Parker. I'm tearing up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parker and his incredible spirit touched so many of us, we will always remember him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. He did love to be known by everyone, so he would like being remembered.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful tribute to a lovely soul. We have three such boxes now,I need to get some pictures framed like you have, lovely reminders. I still very much feel the intense of my Willow even after 15 months. It's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those of us who have had pussy~cats for
    most of our lives, will always have the
    memories!
    On my return to this country in 73..me and
    my then wife settle down, in the same house
    l'm living in now..! Two doors away was a
    pussy~cat called Candy..Cats have always been
    attracted to me..so Candy started visiting,
    she was lovely..cut a long story short, she
    became pregnant..when she was due she decided
    to have her kittens in our bedroom..early hours
    of the morning to, l sat up with her until she'd
    given birth to three kittens..HeHe! And the rest
    is history..
    George..up there on the left, he went over some years
    ago now..l decided 'no more pussy~cats' it was very
    hard..but, l do get visits from Fudge, who lives a
    couple doors on my left..and..Flossie, who lives a
    couple doors to my right..If l'm eating out on the
    patio..Fudge loves to jump up on the table, and stick
    his nose into my dinner..so l always share it with him!
    Flossie's just happy with a saucer of milk..Bless her!x

    God Bless John..God Bless! 😼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are still coming into your life, eh, Willy? Even after deciding no more living with you. As usual, they make the choices, and we go along with them. Fudge and Flossie are lucky cats to know you.

      Delete
  9. Dad keeps his dear Orbit and sweet little Grayson inside the big cat sarcophagus with pictures, notes and other memories. It took him about 2 years before he and mom were ready for another after Orbit passed, and thankfully I adopted them. Dad says- and we know so many others feel the same- that it's impossible to forget your angels, especially the ones who were with you for so, so long. Very sweet tribute to dear Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tribute has me in tears. Parker, like any cat who goes through a struggle, leaves a routine that is hard to shift. You were lucky he chose you to be his home. How he leaves an empty space for a while.

    I love the box.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel at home here. I feel the love in Parker's memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely casket for Parker, and a very handsome photo of the precious boy. There was something about him that touched everyone's heart, and he will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all will John, though none of us as tenderly as you do. It is clear Parker had a real impact on your life, as you did on his. His photo and casket are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice way to honour your cats. We will miss Parker - he was quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  15. dood...ewe leeved a mark that canna bee erased ~~~~~ we iz honored ta haz been part oh yur journee ~~~~~~~~♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful photo and beautiful remembrance. Thanks for allowing us to share his life, challenges and memory. May we all be so loved

    ReplyDelete