Sunday, June 9, 2019

So Bright the Mornings


In regard to the messages I’ve received about Parker’s demise, I hope to contact each well-wisher and thank her or him individually. With some, it will be through their blogs; some do not have blogs, and I hope they will receive my replies to the comments they have left me.

I would like to thank, for a different reason, the Lethbridge PAW Society, whose unfailing support for Parker and me was responsible for his well-being for so long. Since he was, officially, my foster-cat, they provided funds for food and litter, and of course for medical care; expertise, and moral support. Parker would not have survived long without PAW.

But what about the others living in the cosy apartment? Of Renn and Raleigh, the former is patiently awaiting his appointment at the hospital, next Thursday, at which he will have his dental procedure completed. His composure in the face of this fate is remarkable. Of course, he doesn’t know it’s going to happen, but still… Raleigh is becoming more confident, though one hour, he may come right up to me for pets, the next he will run in fear. But his running is less frantic, almost precautionary. I am not worried about his progress.

Josie is recovering very well from her own dental surgery. She was ready to try some hard-food the day after the event. I didn’t offer her any, as I didn’t want to force the issue, but she chose to eat some, and had no difficulty that I could see. She has a couple more days of liquid medicine to take. She dislikes receiving it, but it is not troublesome to give it; the anti-biotic pills she has, so far, consumed crushed up in her soft-food.

As for my princess, Cammie has bounded back from her stroke in all but her vision. I will be talking to her doctor about it, but I think she is almost completely blind each morning, with her sight improving with the day’s course. It may be that the damage done has slowed the reaction of the pupil to light. I don’t know if such particular damage is possible, but that appears to be the cause of the effects I notice.

In the mornings, she cannot see much, if at all. Her eyes’ pupils are dilated tremendously, filling her irises, as they did when she was first struck. She bumps into things and is startled by other cats being in her way. She growls more, which is indicative of both anger and fright. Her pupils diminish, however, as the day ages, and she moves about more freely. Later in the day is when she is more likely found on her favourite cat-tree, facing the window, probably seeing through it.

Whether blind or sighted, whether intermittent or permanent, my Siamese friend is still moving about, using litter-boxes, eating and drinking; she still lies on my neck at night and purrs. She utilizes the steps at the end of the bed more, and drinks more frequently from fewer bowls, in or close to the bedroom. If she loses her vision completely, it will be a grievous loss, but not one she cannot overcome. She will remain secure and cared for; if her mornings are not bright enough to see, her days will still be fair and light.

16 comments:

  1. They look so cozy in your library! It is probably a problem with the contrast of light & dark. My own Mother has macular degeneration and that is her problem, her eyes adjusting to diminishing light. She can see just not normally. It's like you can see the shape of a face but not the eyes, nose and mouth. Perhaps that is what it is like for Cammie. Good wishes for Raleigh this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There never seems to be a dull moment in your household. I'm happy to hear everyone, especially Cammie, are progressing well.

    I wish a good week ahead.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read a good update on your fur crew. "Angel AbbyGrace" may have hit on it; at least it seems a viable theory to me.

    I hope this weekend has been uneventful; you need a break. Oh, how did Adah make out at the one-cat adoption event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out to be a two-cat event: Adah came with her foster-sister, Li'l Lady. The latter was pretty nervous through the whole thing, so Adah, who was scared the last time, spent most of the afternoon shielding Lady from attention. Why these cats still don't have homes is beyond me.

      Delete
  4. Purrs and hugs to all of your very special sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cheering news! It makes my evening good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so good to hear that the cats in the Cozy Apartment are all doing well. And it's especially good news that Cammie's vision is improving little by little. But you didn't mention Tucker. Hopefully this is an indiction that all is well with him too. May this be the start of a nice, quiet period for you and your kitties. You deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right: I didn't mention the roly poly. And your assumption is also correct: things are well with him right now. May they continue!

      Delete
  7. I am glad that at last things are going more smoothly for you and hope they continue to do so. I agree with Debra that it could be as the light gets brighter through the day it enables Cammie to see shapes better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gone through a series of years,
    of having more than one cat, four at
    one point..I always found that if their
    was any health problems, though not often,
    they seem to care for each other, bumping
    heads, cuddling up..in fact, George, that's
    him up there, top left, always cuddled up,
    if l felt unwell..and a couple times, staying
    on the bed with me, to make sure l was o.k.

    And yet, my daughter who had four cats, she
    has only two now, they never seemed to react
    with each other, they lived with two Staffy's
    but the cats looked out for themselves..Strange!
    That's what pussy~cats so..so special..Love them
    to its..AND..always will...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my cats have ever cared much for each other, unfortunately, Willie. Tungsten and Renn were chummy, but that's about it. Cammie was a little less intolerant of Parker during the latter's illness. I suppose for her, that's quite a lot.

      Delete
  9. I, too, am happy that things are improving at the cozy apt! Hope your weekend was a relaxing one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell the vet to name his new boat after you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. guyz....off de grid we haz been az oh late N we iz happee ta lurn sum progress iz bee in made ...cammie we hope de vet can givez dad sum nooze.....sew at leest him knowz which way ta pro seed { maybe curtins ya can still see out, but filter light ?? }

    ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. We send our best to Cammie and wish her well in the future. Josie sounds much like our Fitz who ate some dry within a day of her dental. They have a very different idea of discomfort than we

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last statement is very true. We tend sometimes too much to view their lives through our perspective.

      Delete