Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Débâcle, with Accents

Unfortunately, Iago did not go to the veterinary yesterday. He has been amenable to being touched lately and I thought I could pick him up and put him in the carrier, which I had done in the bathroom. I was mistaken. He took fright and fought to free himself; I wasn’t going to be able to put him in any kind of container after that, and he hid behind the library’s bookcases for the rest of the day, hissing and growling.



It will take quite a while until Iago can go into a carrier, I’m afraid. It’s as well that visiting the doctor is not a necessity. I blame myself for his fright. I could have lured him into the carrier with treats, but that would have created an uncertain timeline; perhaps he would have gone in quickly, perhaps only after a long period. He may not have gone in at all while I was present. I will try other strategies.


Such are the ups and downs of rescue.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry that didn't go well, though I have no doubt that you will succeed. I hope Iago soon realizes (again) you mean him no harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, you had quite a time, and so did Iago. I used to take the carrier out right before leaving for a vet appointment. But I found doing that just increased the cats' anxiety and made the job more difficult. So now I take the carrier out the night before the appointment and put toys or treats in it so they get used to it. Some cats even sleep in it. But you're right - it may take Iago a few days to calm down. I also find that it's easier to put a cat into a carrier that opens from the top rather than one that opens from the front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better luck on the next try. It is so difficult to force a cat into the carrier, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will win eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest John,
    That sure is not a nice experience... hoping it will work out one day!
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the poor guy. As I recall, you speculated that his previous owners had dumped him in a local park. Perhaps he feared you would do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found getting a cat in the carrier is equally hard, top or front unless they are alright with it. Katie lets me lower her in. Not with gladness...trust me. But I can get her in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry things didn't go to plan and hope Iago soon forgives you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, sometimes it isn't easy. Maybe he's planning on being a long time resident.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am sure that was as disappointing to you as it was for Iago, but for entirely different reasons.
    We know you'll work it out for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully Iago forgives and forgets this moment quickly. I'm certain things will get easier as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dood…de last time eye had two go two de eeeeevil place
    it taked de food gurl 20 minitz…..trooth….ta get me in de carrrierz
    sew eye total lee under stand what ya went thru….eye wood rather
    eat bass turd chckn….yez, ewe red that rite… 😼🙀‼️

    ReplyDelete