Friday, March 8, 2019

A Defeat

Tucker continues to struggle with the aftermath of his weekend illness. He has eaten no food on his own since Monday, and I have been force-feeding him Recovery-and-water. That will keep him going, but won’t do much else. Fortunately, he doesn’t resist the syringe.

The roly poly’s doctor has decided that, in view of Tucker’s rising numbers during his curves, he should receive more insulin. Instead of the one unit per day dosage that he had been previously prescribed, Tucker will now be given two units in the morning and one in the evening. This will start tomorrow, when I can check his blood-sugar level six hours after his injection.

I consider this a defeat for my friend, and a failure on my part. I realise that diabetes is a tricky condition, and does not play by the rules, but Tucker was doing well until recently. I think the stress of Raleigh’s addition to the household, and the concerns over Parker’s cancer may be exacerbating Tucker’s problem, and it is my fault for not reducing the bad atmosphere in the apartment.

I have begun playing harp music for the cats during the day when I am not present. While I have found on the internet music specifically for cats - how much that matters, I don’t know - I have not discovered any length of play that exceeds six hours. Non-feline harp music is available, and I may simply play that.

Feliway is no longer available in my town, its place being taken by a brand called Comfort Zone. I tried the defusers last night and found that they heated tremendously. I imagined that they would grow warm and even at the temperature they reached are probably no danger. However, I do not feel comfortable leaving them plugged in; I will not use them. I will try the spray instead. The physics of its application are likely less successful than dispersal into the air on a continual basis, but I think if I spray it on cat-trees and beds that the beasts frequent, it may have some result, if such products have any at all.

Therefore, along with attempting to increase everyone’s food consumption (all the cats are eating too little, in my opinion), I will try to reduce stress and create a more harmonious environment, something which has obviously been diminishing. These, I think, will be instrumental in creating happier and healthier cats.

12 comments:

  1. Poor Tucker, we're sending all available purrs and prayer to that dear boy. Hey, the company that makes feliway licensed the formula to others including Comfort Zone, so it's essentially the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that the harp music aids in de-stressing your household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry to hear this, but we suspect you are right about the stress affecting each of your furry friends. We will continue to purr and send healing light to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Tucker and poor you! Hopefully things will get back to "normal" soon. But please don't consider yourself a failure, John. There is only so much you can do. You cannot control everything that goes on. "Life happens", as the saying goes, and you've actually done a remarkable job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear the kitty issues keep coming. Purrs from the cats for Tucker, and for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're sending our purrs and purrayers to all, and that means you too. This is not a "failure" on your part. You are managing the best that you can, and giving your furry crew amazing care. There is only so much that is humanly possible, so please cut yourself some slack. Castigating oneself does no good whatsoever; now is the time to be gentle with your Self and to ensure that you practice self-care, so you can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't EVEN go there with putting blame upon yourself for the cat's ....anything.....you're one person doing the best you can and even if you were 7 persons doing the best they could, there's no blame to put on a medical malady. tempt the cat father with some sardines; if he can have them; as you did with parker; or give him a donut...anything to jump start his appetite will help, short of B12 or medications.

    catfather....dood.....don't make de codd mother come up ther N get fiestee with ewe buddy...EAT.....even if itza bass terd turkee ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Tucker, but you are not a failure and please don't consider yourself as such. You are doing everything possible for the cats and everyone knows things rarely go smoothly. Hopefully the calmer and harp music will help along with the increased insulin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tucker....if only. Bless your precious heart. And you Dad's.
    Please don't feel a failure. Your efforts are huge. The rest is up to the patients.
    You are doing all you can do and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing the best you can and what is humanly possible. Your fur children are getting the best care and hopefully the music will relieve some stress.I hope you find time for yourself too. Very important for your peace of mind and the stamina to keep persevering. I hope you all have a peaceful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In now way are you to blame for Tucker's health concerns. Diabetes as you have pointed out is very hard to control. Tucker's health is very likely following a natural decline. He is so very fortunate to have you caring for him. Hopefully the increase in insulin will help. I wish him all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, it sure sounds like you have your hands full, but do not blame yourself. You are doing the best you can.

    ReplyDelete