Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Princess and the Pee

Cammie wet on the floor in the library this morning. There is a rug covering the fitted carpets there, and she wet on that, but that isn’t the point. I am sure there is nothing physically amiss with the princess. I believe she is feeling stress.


She has fixated on Raleigh now, and will come into the sitting room, crouch a few feet away from him and stare at the unfortunate newcomer. I move her along whenever I see her doing this, but I cannot do that during the day when I am at work. Fortunately, I think she doesn’t do it often. It must have a discouraging effect on Peachy, too, having a malevolent Siamese cat glowering at you.

I will be purchasing some Feliway dispensers today. I haven’t had much success with them in the past, but they may give different results this time. It’s certain that most of the beasts are out of sorts right now, and each is affecting the others. If even one of them feels a little peace and serenity from this new item in the household, then the extra expense will be worth it.

13 comments:

  1. I think you're correct about the other cats reacting to the stress. Hopefully the Feliway will help. Rescue Remedy may also be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried silvervine sticks or leaves? If your local pet stores don't have them, they're available online. They have a wonderful effect on cats, even my cranky Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping the diffusers help to diffuse Cammie's Raleighglare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Feliway, Rescue Remedy, calming treats...PetAlive.com in the States has a product (I get granules) called Pet Calm that you sprinkle into food. There's also Zylkene from the vet, the natural product to use as well (derivative of a calming compound in milk). I find Zylkene more effective than the Pet Calm, or I should say, quicker-acting. Pet Calm is more a long-term thing, IMO, needing to be used at least 2x per day on an ongoing basis. It did help Derry when I was using it, but the boys get supplements for this and that, so it's hard to fit everything in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't risk giving Cammie anything by mouth. With her allergies, I'm scared of tampering with her food, or giving any additives. I hope something in the air will be acceptable to all, and work.

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness, what next? I'm hoping that the diffusers will work to settle everyone down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't laugh when I say this, but play some harp music on the radio or your PC.

    the link below is very old but I played harp on the iphone when sauce was going thru such a terrible time and I've heard that shelters are now starting to play it in the background to help the stress levels

    if you google "harp music for cats" or, go directly to you tube, you'll find different stations that play it for different lengths of time

    https://www.lovemeow.com/music-tames-the-beast-inside-your-cat-1607958200.html

    ♥♥ bee well cammie ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that. I won't laugh, because Mary Anne, over at Feral Cat Behaviour (see side-bar) plays harp music for the same reason. I do play piano music, but harp music would be different. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Poor Raleigh. A malevolent glare from a cat can be very unnerving. I hope the Feliway helps Cammie and the others to feel calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second harp music! I had a CD of harp music that was made especially to soothe cats. I would play it at home and in the car when taking them to the vets. One cat in particular was a howler in the car and quieted down quite noticeably when the CD was playing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the diffusers work.I bought the one for a multi-cat house. It seemed to work. Or maybe my TomTom is just a bully.

    ReplyDelete