Saturday, March 2, 2019

Whatever Happened to Slim Pickens?




There are some who read this blog who may be wondering about Operation Slim Pickens, my attempt to trap and sterilise the community cats behind my work-place. I have officially closed the operation.

It was not an unqualified successful, as there will always be doubt in my mind about one cat, a cat I named Bauble. She – I refer to her as a female for convenience – was the last cat that I and the care-taker of the colony believed was unspayed, though the latter was not sure. Bauble was very shy, never appearing except in company with other cats. Consequently, she was tremendously difficult to trap: any time that I set a trap to catch her, another cat would end up in it, as Bauble did not venture anywhere first. She never showed up alone, and never gave me a chance to entice her without interference.

I tried to come up with a means of trapping Bauble for a couple of months. Then, she seemed to vanish. I haven’t observed her in about six weeks. It is very cold here, and has been for some time, but the other cats have survived, some living in small shelters provided for them, others preferring elsewhere. Bauble was close to other cats, and should have been able to stay warm with them. I don’t know what has happened to her. (Regarding her spaying: she may already have been fixed, as she did not become pregnant in all the time she was seen, and, if male, did not have the look of a tom-cat.)

Therefore, reluctantly, I have concluded Operation Slim Pickens. This doesn’t mean that I won’t start a sequel, if the need arises.

In some ways, I think, the operation has done good. I have caught and had neutered or spayed five adult cats, and eight kittens. Four of those kittens, brothers and sisters, went immediately to caring homes with women who staffed the charity next door to my work-place. They had been slowly getting the kittens used to people and had in fact been able to pick up a fifth sibling and put her in a carrier without recourse to trapping. The other kittens caught went to rescue groups for eventual adoption.

Of the five adults, Auvergne and Bijou remain with the colony, and I see them frequently. Beulah went to a rescue-group’s shelter. I have not seen Argosy for a long time, unfortunately. The first cat I trapped was Raleigh, and you may be familiar with his fate.

That the trapping had some success may be gauged by the fact that I have not seen kittens in or near it since Doodle and Sketch were captured. Indeed, the colony is small, comprising Bijou, Auvergne, Haff (so-called because he looks like Auvergne but with only half of his moustache), two tabbies (White-socks and Tabs) and, periodically, a handsome fellow with a long white coat and a floofy black tail (Francis, named after Francis X Bushman). He, Haff and the two tabby males had been neutered before I began my operations.

Come spring, there may be another tribe of kittens to trap. I hope not. There seem to be no re-productive cats in the colony and, with luck, none will join hereafter. I have access to traps again, if required, and arrangements will be made with a veterinary hospital. But, unlike the actor after whom the effort was named, I hope that Operation Slim Pickens will be able to retire, its work completed.


Argosy.
Auvergne.
Beulah.
Bijou.
Pallas.
Luna.
Maki and Gizmo.
Latimer and Latigo.
Doodle and Sketch.
Raleigh.

9 comments:

  1. You are to be congratulated, John. You've gotten an entire feral colony spayed or neutered, and you were able to find loving homes for several of the kittens. That's a remarkable accomplishment. I'd say that Operation Slim Pickens was a great success, and from the contented expression on Raleigh's face, I think he agrees with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will echo Roberta's comment and commend you on your success. You've made a huge difference for the better in all these cats' lives, and in Raleigh's life in particular. I hope there will be no kittens this year to add to the small colony, but if there are, I have no doubt that renewed trapping efforts would prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I think your efforts were very successful with all the spays and neuters you were able to get done, and also the adoptions.
    Hopefully Bauble was already spayed and is keeping somewhere safe and out of the way during the winter months.
    I am so glad that Raleigh has his home with you. He looks totally contented on your lap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your effort on behalf of those cats and kittens in the colony and the everlasting positive effect your work has provided for those cats and the ones who did not have to be born and suffer. And Roberta was surely right in her comment about that contented look on Raleigh's face...he is a happy content boy. Thanks to your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A job well done! Seeing Raleigh alone on that chair to laying in your lap, is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great work! I hadn't realized there were as many cats/kittens. The work you've done will have a real impact. Would it be that no cats were left to be feral.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call Operation Slim Pickens a smashing success. Trapping wild cats is NOT an easy business. Aside from the cats you were able to save from living on the streets, who knows how many future kittens were spared that fate.

    We're all very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. operation slim pickens is a huge success to those whose lives
    were changed { TNR etc etc. } we too hope there's not a repeat of the "show" but if there is, we know it will be a successful as operation "one" ♥♥♥♥♥ THANK YOU !

    ReplyDelete
  9. At almost 3am this morning, The Hubby and I were awakened by cat meowling and growling...outdoors. We only saw one cat, in a neighbor's yard, and The 'O' Cats were asleep in The Cat Hotel, as far as we could tell. That being said, I anticipate that our feral colony will grow, just because cats seem to wander in from somewhere. Let's hope that Operation Slim Pickens is classified "closed"! Quote from Slim Pickens: What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?

    ReplyDelete