Friday, May 17, 2019

6th of June: D (Dental) Day

Next month is a significant one for my cats’ health care. Three of them will be going to the doctor for their dental procedures - two of them on the same day. Cammie and Josie will go together on 6th June, while Renn will follow a week later on the thirteenth.

I am glad I could get the girls in as soon as possible (three weeks from now is as soon as possible). I think Josie is suffering the most of the trio and, while Cammie likely needs the least amount of work, I want the doctor to check her anal glands while the princess is at the hospital. I saw her dragging her bum across the carpet one day last week. I have already started giving her Restoralax to encourage and soften her stools. Unsurprisingly, that is a more difficult operation than giving it to Tucker, who is also receiving it. Cammie has pooped since then, so she is not constipated, and yesterday’s specimen was exactly the consistency I like to see. Still, if Cammie is going to the hospital, I may as well have one end looked at as the other.

Having the girls go in on the same day will also save on a separate taxi-ride to deliver and pick up one of them. This is a not unimportant financial consideration. As it is, the three procedures will guarantee that the Mediterranean cruise I had planned for my summer holidays will have to be postponed. Or was a boat-trip up the Rhine and down the Danube? A rail ride across Canada? Well, in any case, I will staying close to home.



17 comments:

  1. We will keep it a secret until after they undergo their procedures...oh my no one (including our Mom) like the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all goes well. You are a wonderful cat parent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was thinking that three dentals at once could just about bankrupt a person. Fingers and paws are crossed here for everyone.

    I had to laugh at the boat trip along the Rhine and Danube -- my father and his wife are finishing up their Danube cruise, heading home this weekend. (They do not have pets; hence, they can afford to travel.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream holiday is to travel up the Rhine and down the Danube, preferably in the 1920s. There used to be a canal linking the two rivers. It was so high up in the mountains that one could sail through the locks, looking down at villages.

      Delete
    2. I've been up and down both but I never knew about the canal. That is fascinating. I like your dream holiday. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hope the appointments go well. I'm not a fan of the dentist either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Cammie, Josie and Renn. I can relate - going to the dentist is not one of my favorite things either. But they will feel better once their dental issues are taken care of. But your vet bills are another matter. With my 6 cats, can sympathize. I'll be taking a "staycation" this year too. One thing I pass along to anyone thinking of getting a pet is that there is no such thing as a free animal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets do cost a lot, especially for those of us who treat them as family and want them to be as healthy as possible into a long and happy life. It's not cynical or selfish to think of financial considerations when looking into a pet.

      Delete
  6. J; with three dentals { and st francis' blessing for successful procedures to cammie josie and renn } you can plan on your cruise and or boat trip for a possible leave date of 2052 :) ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right - if nothing else needs fixing…

      Delete
  7. I really dislike going to the dentist, but I think most people feel the same way.I am sure Cammie, Josie and Renn will feel much better afterwards, but I won't say the same for your wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to make an appointment for Katie. I wish I had thought to do it in the month of Feb., then I would have gotten a few percent off in fee. I got a good smile from da tabbies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what I did but I clicked on something and my account showed up :)
    Dental work for cats is expensive but is well worth the cost given the comfort our cats receive. Holly's teeth are still in excellent shape from dental cleaning and teeth extraction a couple of years ago. I do hope everything goes well for Cammie, Josie and Renn. I tried to comment on Parker's update but Google would not oblige. Please give him my best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to read that Holly's teeth are so good. That means more to them than the equivalent would for people, I think.

      Delete
  10. As if you'd ever leave your kitties for a long vacation..hah! I was gone for three days, and it was two days too long. Lucky for me, I received some cat therapy while on vacation, which helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I couldn't leave them. Their eating arrangements alone are so complicated, they'd starve if someone else tried to feed them.

      Delete
  11. The crew here needs dental and Miss Fitz will be first next week as Rumpy needs his asthma evaluated and I want an xray to see what has gone on in the past few years. Yes my Viking Cruise on the waterways of Europe has also been postponed. Better spent on living creatures than just the pleasure of one. Good tidings for everyone

    ReplyDelete