Friday, May 3, 2019

Getting to Know Our New Customer

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their support of Parker and me during his illness. I know most who read this blog have previously experienced the loss of a pet, as I have. It’s never easy, but Parker is a popular fellow. We always meet admirers of his when we take our walks, and he of course has his friends on the internet.

But in addition to the bad, there is good in the cosy apartment, or, in this instance, just outside. I have been becoming better acquainted with Hugo, my new outsider-cat pal. He has let me come quite close, and, Wednesday evening, allowed me to pet him. At first, he brushed against me and veered away, but then presented his head for a rub. He even purred.



I think he would very easily take to the indoor life, though, in fact, I don’t know that he isn’t partially an indoor feline already. My next task is to watch or perhaps follow him when he leaves my location, to determine if he has a home. Following him, of course, is tricky, as it might cause him to deviate from his routine or plan. From the look of him, he is likely neutered if male, though he may be female. His coat is coarse but not matted, as may be seen in the photographs. It is a little dirty, but no more than a long-haired cat would become if he rolled in the dirt once while outside. I have not touched him enough to know well if he is thin under that thick coat of his.




Hugo’s shyness suggests that he is homeless, while his readiness to permit me to touch him shows that he knew (or knows) affectionate human contact. Trying to follow him to his home (whether that is with a human family, or simply a rude shelter of his own choosing) may take a while, so I thought I would advertise him on Facebook or some such venue and see if anyone knows him, being careful not to divulge too much and even more careful of replies.




I believe Hugo is lost or, more probably, abandoned. Fortunately, whether he has another source of food or not, he won’t starve, so long as he continues to patronise CafĂ© Cosy. And doesn’t mind being stared at by the staff.

15 comments:

  1. Hugo really is a handsome one, he sure seems to want the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope he has a home and is merely coming for a snack, but I'm afraid you're probably right that he's been abandoned. That would be sad, but as you note he has found a good place at Cafe Cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe put up flyers around the block, "Do You Know Me?" and see if anyone responds. Hugo is very handsome, and I hope he's got a home, but even if he does, they aren't quite treating him well. That grey coat is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's such a handsome fellow! He might have a home with negligent people; too many cats do, including at least two in my complex. I like the idea of "Do you know me?" flyers around the area; someone might have some helpful info.

    If he doesn't have a home, well, he soon might. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think three times as many cats as I'm allowed by the landlord is sufficient...

      Delete
  5. Hugo really is one handsome fellow and he doesn't know how lucky it is that he met you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dood....if in fact ewe R abandoned; ya had de good senze ta noe wear ta seek help....ya came ta de rite place....N guyz...yur bak yard iz awesum :)

    parker.....♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugo is certainly a beautiful cat. Perhaps I'm being over-cautious since I've lived in an urban area all of my life, but I would be concerned about posting fliers with Hugo's picture or description. There is always a chance that someone could falsely claim Hugo was their cat, and you would have no way of knowing if this person was in fact the rightful owner. And because some folks want an animal for reasons other than because they simply want a pet, they may not have Hugo's best interest at heart. Of course you must do what you think is best, but you might consider putting up fliers saying only that a cat was found and list your phone number. When someone calls, you would ask them for a description of Homer and in this way you would have some assurance that the caller is Homer's owner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a striking-looking dude. I hope you can determine if he has a home. Would it be possible to put a collar on him with a note attached asking if someone owns him? I had to do that on one occasion when a tuxedo girl—and her kittens!—settled into my yard. (I got a reply that she did, but obviously they couldn’t bother to keep her in—let alone get her fixed!)

    Her owner was subsequently arrested for bank robbery, but that’s a whole other story...

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is truly handsome. That coat is just sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugo is handsome and does have a lovely coat. Whether he has a home or not, he knows you won't let him go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad Hugo is doing well and even purred.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so awesome that Hugo has grown more comfortable. He sure is one very handsome, bushy mancat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugo looks reasonably filled out in the overhead shot. He does seem a nice friendly fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugo is really a handsome fellow. We agree that if he is living rough he may become ready for Hacienda Cozy

    ReplyDelete